8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2010 10:37 AM by Scott Stark

What is cirras.ec2.manifest.xml?

Scott Stark Master

I'm trying to build an ami for the current cirras appliance, but it wants some cirras.ec2.manifest.xml. What is this, what is the format?

[starksm@fedora13 BoxGrinder]$ sudo boxgrinder-build appliances/cirras.appl -p ec2 -d ami
      [sudo] password for starksm: 
      I, [2010-08-20T23:01:20.197863 #26738]  INFO -- : Deliverables for fedora operating system plugin exists, skipping.
      I, [2010-08-20T23:01:20.198177 #26738]  INFO -- : Deliverables for ec2 platform plugin exists, skipping.
      I, [2010-08-20T23:01:20.514334 #26738]  INFO -- : Bundling AMI...
      I, [2010-08-20T23:01:20.540548 #26738]  INFO -- : Bundling AMI finished.
      error: No such file or directory - build/appliances/i386/fedora/13/cirras/s3-plugin/ami/cirras.ec2.manifest.xml. Use --trace to view backtrace

• 1. Re: What is cirras.ec2.manifest.xml?
          Marek Goldmann Master

Hi Scott,

.manifest.xml file is creted by ec2-ami-tools while bundling appliance to AMI. This can happen only when your previous build failed somehow. This should help:

rm -rf build/appliances/fedora/13/cirras/ec2-plugin

And then re-run the command.

Please paste relevant log entries (more == better) from log/boxgrinder.log. So I can track this down. Thanks!

--Marek

• 2. Re: What is cirras.ec2.manifest.xml?
            Scott Stark Master

Ok, there was a previous failure because I did not have a ~/.boxgrinder/plugins/s3 defined. Just removing the build/appliances/fedora/13/cirras/ec2-plugin directory did not seem to clear the issue, so I did a full rebuild and still saw the problem. I sent you the log/boxgrinder.log for review.

• 3. Re: What is cirras.ec2.manifest.xml?
              Marek Goldmann Master

Scott,

Quick question: do you have ec2-ami-tools installed and added bin/ dir to $PATH? Try to run ec2-bundle-image --help and watch the output.

But yes, BG should fail earlier – this is because I recently changed ExecHelper code, created an issue for this: BGBUILD-44.

--Marek

• 4. Re: What is cirras.ec2.manifest.xml?
                Marek Goldmann Master

One more thing – after the build fails now, do the step I proposed in my first post and then install ec2-ami-tools and re-run the command. It should be fine after that.

I'll release fix for this in a few days.

--Marek

• 5. Re: What is cirras.ec2.manifest.xml?
                  Scott Stark Master

It seems like I have the tools installed?

[starksm@fedora13 BoxGrinder]$ ec2-bundle-image --help

MANDATORY PARAMETERS
                      -c, --cert PATH                  The path to the user's PEM encoded RSA public key certificate file.
                      -k, --privatekey PATH            The path to the user's PEM encoded RSA private key file.
                      -u, --user USER                  The user's EC2 user ID (Note: AWS account number, NOT Access Key ID).
                      -i, --image PATH                 The path to the file system image to bundle.

OPTIONAL PARAMETERS
                      -h, --help                       Display this help message and exit.
                          --version                    Display the version and copyright notice and then exit.
                          --manual                     Display the user manual and exit.
                          --batch                      Run in batch mode. No interactive prompts.
                          --debug                      Display debug messages.
                      -d, --destination PATH           The directory to create the bundle in. Defaults to '/tmp'.
                          --ec2cert PATH               The path to the EC2 X509 public key certificate bundled into the AMI.
                                                       Defaults to '/etc/ec2/amitools/cert-ec2.pem'.
                      -r, --arch ARCHITECTURE          Specify target architecture. One of ["i386", "x86_64"]
                          --productcodes PRODUCT_CODES Default product codes attached to the image at registration time.
                                                       Comma separated list of product codes.
                          --kernel ID                  Id of the default kernel to launch the AMI with.
                          --ramdisk ID                 Id of the default ramdisk to launch the AMI with.
                      -B, --block-device-mapping MAPS  Default block-device-mapping scheme to launch the AMI with. This scheme
                                                       defines how block devices may be exposed to an EC2 instance of this AMI
                                                       if the instance-type of the instance is entitled to the specified device.
                                                       The scheme is a comma-separated list of key=value pairs, where each key
                                                       is a "virtual-name" and each value, the corresponding native device name
                                                       desired. Possible virtual-names are:
                                                        - "ami": denotes the root file system device, as seen by the instance.
                                                        - "root": denotes the root file system device, as seen by the kernel.
                                                        - "swap": denotes the swap device, if present.
                                                        - "ephemeralN": denotes Nth ephemeral store; N is a non-negative integer.
                                                       Note that the contents of the AMI form the root file system. Samples of
                                                       block-device-mappings are:
                                                        - "ami=sda1,root=/dev/sda1,ephemeral0=sda2,swap=sda3"
                                                        - "ami=0,root=/dev/dsk/c0d0s0,ephemeral0=1"
                      -p, --prefix PREFIX              The filename prefix for bundled AMI files. Defaults to image name.

[starksm@fedora13 BoxGrinder]$ gem list | grep ec2
                  amazon-ec2 (0.9.15)
                  boxgrinder-build-ec2-platform-plugin (0.0.2)

• 6. Re: What is cirras.ec2.manifest.xml?
                    Scott Stark Master

I have version 1.3 installed.

[starksm@fedora13 BoxGrinder]$ rpm -qif /usr/local/bin/ec2-bundle-image
                    Name        : ec2-ami-tools                Relocations: (not relocatable)
                    Version     : 1.3                               Vendor: Amazon Execution Service 53887.53773
                    Release     : 53773                         Build Date: Sat 03 Jul 2010 11:03:59 PM PDT
                    Install Date: Tue 10 Aug 2010 06:01:29 PM PDT      Build Host: ip-10-212-151-63.ec2.internal
                    Group       : Development/Languages         Source RPM: ec2-ami-tools-1.3-53773.src.rpm
                    Size        : 673409                           License: Amazon Software License
                    Signature   : (none)
                    Packager    : 20081021-dublin:manual:i386
                    Summary     : Tools for creating, bundling and uploading AMIs.
                    Description :
                    Tools for creating, bundling and uploading AMIs.

• 7. Re: What is cirras.ec2.manifest.xml?
                      Marek Goldmann Master

Hm, OK. Please make sure every paths you can see in line starting with "D, [2010-08-20T23:39:16.286253 #27458] DEBUG" in log/boxgrinder.log is there. Especially key lcoations, because this is the main issue here.

--Marek

• 8. Re: What is cirras.ec2.manifest.xml?
                        Scott Stark Master

Ok, so ths issue is that sudo sets the root user path to a minimal value, and the ec2-tools are not installed in the secure path:

[starksm@fedora13 BoxGrinder]$ sudo which ec2-bundle-image
                        [sudo] password for starksm: 
                        which: no ec2-bundle-image in (/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin)

The line from the boxgrinder.log is:

D, [2010-08-20T23:39:16.286253 #27458] DEBUG -- : Executing command: 'ec2-bundle-image -i build/appliances/i386/fedora/13/cirras/ec2-plugin/cirras.ec2 --kernel aki-407d9529  -c /home/starksm/Dev/Amazon/sstark@redhat/cert-5V25IJ62FX7ULB2ZYDNLVGFWUEJTLR3U.pem -k /home/starksm/Dev/Amazon/sstark@redhat/pk-5V25IJ62FX7ULB2ZYDNLVGFWUEJTLR3U.pem -u * -r i386 -d build/appliances/i386/fedora/13/cirras/s3-plugin/ami'
                        D, [2010-08-20T23:39:16.293008 #27458] DEBUG -- : /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/open3.rb:67:in `exec': No such file or directory - ec2-bundle-image -i build/appliances/i386/fedora/13/cirras/ec2-plugin/cirras.ec2 --kernel aki-407d9529  -c /home/starksm/Dev/Amazon/sstark@redhat/cert-5V25IJ62FX7ULB2ZYDNLVGFWUEJTLR3U.pem -k /home/starksm/Dev/Amazon/sstark@redhat/pk-5V25IJ62FX7ULB2ZYDNLVGFWUEJTLR3U.pem -u * -r i386 -d build/appliances/i386/fedora/13/cirras/s3-plugin/ami (Errno::ENOENT)

I can get around it by passing in my PATH:

[starksm@fedora13 BoxGrinder]$ sudo PATH="$PATH" which ec2-bundle-image
                        /usr/local/bin/ec2-bundle-image

I have been able to delete the s3-plugin directory and move past the creation of the ami file to the point of uploading the ami.

Thanks