1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2010 2:18 PM by sergiu_pienar

Upgrading from Deployment Service to Profile Service

sergiu_pienar

Hi,

From what I've read from the articles released by the community I've come to the conclusion that in Jboss 5.1 the Profile Service does what the Deployment Service was doing in Jboss 4.x.In Jboss 4.x I was using the Deployment Service to create a datasource "on-the-fly" and I was wondering if I could do the same thing using the Profile Service (since Deployment Service doesn't exist any more in Jboss 5.x).

Thank you ,

Regards.  

• 1. Re: Upgrading from Deployment Service to Profile Service
          emuckenhuber

There is a way to create new datasources using the ProfileService management API using deployment templates:  http://community.jboss.org/wiki/ProfileServiceDeploymentTemplates. However you can also use the ProfileService DeploymentManager to deploy a *-ds.xml deployment directly.

• 2. Re: Upgrading from Deployment Service to Profile Service
            sergiu_pienar

Do you know in which .jar are located these ones :

org.jboss.deployers.spi.management.deploy.DeploymentManager;
            org.jboss.deployers.spi.management.deploy.DeploymentProgress;

org.jboss.deployers.spi.management.deploy.DeploymentStatus;

Thx.

Later edit : It's in client/jboss-integration.jar.

• 3. Re: Upgrading from Deployment Service to Profile Service
              emuckenhuber

Sergiu Pienar wrote:

Later edit : It's in client/jboss-integration.jar.

Correct. In case you want to use remoting you will most likely need the jbossall-client.jar as well.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Upgrading from Deployment Service to Profile Service
                sergiu_pienar

For adding some properties in the *-ds.xml should I create a managed object ?

Basically the properties that I set here :

private HashMap<String, Object> generateMap(final Datasource ds) {
                            HashMap<String, Object> properties = new HashMap<String, Object>();
                            properties.put("jndi-name", this.getDSName(ds));
                            properties.put("connection-url", ds.getUrl());
                            properties.put("user-name", ds.getUsername());
                            properties.put("password", ds.getPassword());
                            if (Datasource.SERVER_TYPE.ORACLE.toString().equalsIgnoreCase(ds.getServerType())) {
                                properties.put("driver-class", "oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver");
                                properties.put("exception-sorter-class-name",
                                    "org.jboss.resource.adapter.jdbc.vendor.OracleExceptionSorter");
                                properties.put("min-pool-size", 5);
                                properties.put("max-pool-size", 100);

} else if (Datasource.SERVER_TYPE.MYSQL.toString().equalsIgnoreCase(ds.getServerType())) {
                                properties.put("driver-class", "com.mysql.jdbc.Driver");
                                properties.put("exception-sorter-class-name",
                                    "org.jboss.resource.adapter.jdbc.vendor.MySQLExceptionSorter");
                                properties.put("min-pool-size", 20);
                                properties.put("max-pool-size", 250);
                                properties.put("blocking-timeout-millis", 30000);

}
                            return properties;
                        }

}

will have to go into the *-ds.xml that is the DataSource.

I get the following error when I try to create a datasource :

ERROR [AbstractKernelController] Error installing to Parse: name=vfsfile:/D:/opts/jboss-5.1.0.GA/server/autoid/deploy/mysql-test2-ds.xml state=Not Installed mode=Manual requiredState=Parse

loyers.spi.DeploymentException: Error creating managed object for vfsfile:/D:/opt_head_sergiu/jboss-5.1.0.GA/server/autoid/deploy/mysql-test2-ds.xml
                org.jboss.deployers.spi.DeploymentException.rethrowAsDeploymentException(DeploymentException.java:49)

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you.

Later edit :

I'm trying to do the following :

DeploymentTemplateInfo info = mgtView.getTemplate("LocalTxDataSourceTemplate");

// Update the template values
                            info.getProperties().get("min-pool-size").setValue(SimpleValueSupport.wrap(13));

// Create the deployment
                            mgtView.applyTemplate(jndiName, info);

// Get the created managed component
                            ComponentType type = KnownComponentTypes.DataSourceTypes.LocalTx.getType();
                            ManagedComponent dataSource = mgtView.getComponent(jndiName, type);
                            dataSource.update();

Is it correct ?

• 5. Re: Upgrading from Deployment Service to Profile Service
                  emuckenhuber

Yes, the latter seems to be the right direction. There is also a test in our testsuite creating a local datasource. Maybe the "testTemplateDS" helps:

http://anonsvn.jboss.org/repos/jbossas/trunk/testsuite/src/main/org/jboss/test/profileservice/override/test/ProfileServiceOverrideTestCase.java

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Upgrading from Deployment Service to Profile Service
                    sergiu_pienar

I've managed to create the dataSource and Register it , and it works.Thank you Emanuel for the help.

One last question : When I unbind the dataSource I also have to delete it physically(i.e. from the server/deploy/ folder).How can this be done.

Thx.

• 7. Re: Upgrading from Deployment Service to Profile Service
                      emuckenhuber

As you mentioned, the DeploymentTemplate creates a physical deployment - so you would need to use the DeploymentManager to stop/remove it. One way to get the deployment name is using the ManagedComponent (like in the fragment you posted) - dataSource.getDeployment().getName() and pass the name into the DeploymentManager.stop() and remove().

• 8. Re: Upgrading from Deployment Service to Profile Service
                        sergiu_pienar

Thank you very much for your assistence through out the entire post.

Sergiu.

• 9. Re: Upgrading from Deployment Service to Profile Service
                          sergiu_pienar

When I try to create a XA DataSource I notice that there are some differences between the Template that I get using the ManagementView and the template that really works.

So , in the template that I get with the mgtView I would like to add this field:

<xa-datasource-property name="URL">jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/example</xa-datasource-property>

The <xa-datasource-property> exists in the template , however I want to add the name="URL" part in it.

How can I add it to the template ?

If I don't add it the dataSource will not work properly(it won't be able to acquire a connection to the DB).

Thx a lot.

• 10. Re: Upgrading from Deployment Service to Profile Service
                            emuckenhuber

The DeploymentTemplateInfo for XA DataSources should contain a "xa-datasource-properties" ManagedProperty - the value of the this property is: MapCompositeValueSupport. So you should be able to add properties using something like: dataSourceProperties.put("URL", SimpleValueSupport.wrap("jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/exampl");

• 11. Re: Upgrading from Deployment Service to Profile Service
                              sergiu_pienar

I noticed that there was a property xa-datasource-properties in the XADeploymentTemplate , just that I don't know how to populate it with the URL section.

I've tried the following :

private HashMap<String, MetaValue> generateMap(final Datasource ds) {

HashMap<String, MetaValue> properties = new HashMap<String, MetaValue>();

properties.put("jndi-name", SimpleValueSupport.wrap(this.getDSName(ds)));
                                          properties.put("connection-url", SimpleValueSupport.wrap(ds.getUrl()));
                                          properties.put("user-name", SimpleValueSupport.wrap(ds.getUsername()));
                                          properties.put("password", SimpleValueSupport.wrap(ds.getPassword()));
                                          properties.put("URL", SimpleValueSupport.wrap(ds.getUrl()));

return properties;

}

public void createAndRegister(final Datasource ds){

DeploymentTemplateInfo info = mgtView.getTemplate("XADataSourceTemplate");

// Insert template values
                                              for (ManagedProperty property : info.getProperties().values()) {

MetaValue v = properties.get(property.getName());
                                                  if (v != null) {
                                                      property.setValue(v);
                                                      property.setField(Fields.META_TYPE, v.getMetaType());
                                                  }
                                              }

// Create the deployment
                                              mgtView.applyTemplate(deploymentName, info);

}

But it does not insert the URL part .

Thx.

Later edit : Currently trying http://community.jboss.org/message/294681#294681

• 12. Re: Upgrading from Deployment Service to Profile Service
                                emuckenhuber

Sergiu Pienar wrote:

Later edit : Currently trying http://community.jboss.org/message/294681#294681

Yes, you would need to use MapCompositeValueSupport in order to make this work:

MapCompositeValueSupport properties = new MapCompositeValueSupport(SimpleMetaType.STRING);
                                properties.put("jndi-name", SimpleValueSupport.wrap(this.getDSName(ds)));
                                properties.put("connection-url", SimpleValueSupport.wrap(ds.getUrl()));
                                properties.put("user-name", SimpleValueSupport.wrap(ds.getUsername()));
                                properties.put("password", SimpleValueSupport.wrap(ds.getPassword()));
                                properties.put("URL", SimpleValueSupport.wrap(ds.getUrl()));

And then set this as the value of the "xa-datasource-properties" ManagedProperty.

• 13. Re: Upgrading from Deployment Service to Profile Service
                                  sergiu_pienar

It finally worked.

Thank you very much Emanuel.

Cheers,

Sergiu.

• 14. Re: Upgrading from Deployment Service to Profile Service
                                    sergiu_pienar

I noticed something strange...I have the list of DS's in my application.As long as I don't restart the server I can delete them and it works.

But after I restart the server i can't delete them.This is the method I use for deleting the DataSources

public boolean unRegister(final Datasource ds)
                                                throws Exception {
                                                try {

DeploymentManager deployMgr = this.getDeploymentManager();
                                                    // Get the ViewManager
                                                    ManagementView mgtView = this.getManagementView();
                                                    ComponentType type = KnownComponentTypes.DataSourceTypes.XA.getType();
                                                    // Get the component to be removed
                                                    ManagedComponent dataSourceComponent = mgtView.getComponent(this.getDSName(ds), type);
                                                    String dataSourceComponentName = dataSourceComponent.getDeployment().getName();
                                                    // Remove the component
                                                    mgtView.removeComponent(dataSourceComponent);
                                                    // Stop the deployment
                                                    DeploymentProgress stop = deployMgr.stop(dataSourceComponentName);
                                                    // Run
                                                    stop.run();
                                                    // Remove the deployment
                                                    DeploymentProgress remove = deployMgr.remove(dataSourceComponentName);
                                                    // Run
                                                    remove.run();

return true;
                                                } catch (Exception e) {
                                                    e.printStackTrace();
                                                    return false;
                                                }

}

And the point where it fails is here :ManagedComponent dataSourceComponent = mgtView.getComponent(this.getDSName(ds), type);

The strange fact is that this very same dataSourceComponent gets populated when the server is not restarted.

Do you have any idea why ?

Thx.

1 2 Previous Next