4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2010 7:54 AM by lfryc

RF4 - rich:tree - verbose tag names

lfryc
      Current names of tags for tree are (with exception of rich:tree) very verbose.
      Consider renaming of the tag names to short ones, my suggestion is:
      rich:treeNode
      rich:treeModelAdaptor -> rich:treeModel
      rich:treeModelRecursiveAdaptor -> rich:treeRecursive.
      Consider also adding the additional taglib in namespace tree:, where copies of semantically same components will reside:
      - tree:node
      - tree:model
      - tree:recursive
      Both of the suggestions can improve readability of XHTML code with complex structures.

Current names of tags for tree are (with exception of rich:tree) very verbose.

Consider renaming of the tag names to short ones, my suggestion is:

rich:treeNode

rich:treeModelAdaptor -> rich:treeModel

rich:treeModelRecursiveAdaptor -> rich:treeRecursive.

Consider also adding the additional taglib in namespace tree:, where copies of semantically same components will reside:

- tree:node

- tree:model

- tree:recursive

Both of the suggestions can improve readability of XHTML code with complex structures.

See [1] rev. 20507 as current sample.

[1] https://svn.jboss.org/repos/richfaces/trunk/examples/iteration-demo/src/main/webapp/treeModel.xhtml

• 1. Re: rich:tree - verbose tag names
          nbelaevski

Hi,

Personally me like the current variant.

• 2. Re: RF4 - rich:tree - verbose tag names
            lfryc

Yes it is about personal preference, but currently these tags

rich:treeModelAdaptor

rich:treeModelRecursiveAdaptor

have 3-4 words, it is not so easy as it can be to recognize meaning from code from other developer.

But it also depends on how much new tags rich:tree* will be added in future. :-)

• 3. Re: RF4 - rich:tree - verbose tag names
              ilya_shaikovsky

no agree with Nick. I think it's simpler to undesrstand what is treeModelAdaptor rather than model (and actually it's adaptor and not a model) and recursive word alone also means something for you only because you know what is that. But it will mean less for newcomer.

About amount - I do not think it will growth much

• 4. Re: RF4 - rich:tree - verbose tag names
                lfryc

Ok guys, you convinced me, considering that newcomers have to know out of the box what's going on is here priority.

Also I think that adding new namespace can be reasonable in case of highly used tags, but probably not here.

(Just note that I suggested improvement to tree:model and tree:recursive which gives me sense well.)