1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Dec 29, 2010 12:15 PM by manarh

What is caching in Seam or JBoss?

tony.herstell1

Please can you advise if this is a JBoss feature or a Seam feature and how to turn it off.

http://seamframework.org/Community/WhatIsCachingInSeamOrJBoss

Thx.

• 1. Re: What is caching in Seam or JBoss?
          jaikiran

You did not mention which JBoss AS version. If it's JBoss AS 5 then my guess is JBoss AS is doing the caching. In any case, you'll have to provide a bit more details about your setup (including the exact JBoss AS version). In AS 5 there's a (5 second?) delay before the changes to to .xhtml are picked up.

• 2. Re: What is caching in Seam or JBoss?
            tony.herstell1

Ok, cant paste...

Its 5.1.0.GA 200905221634

But yes, how do I killl the 5 second pause and make it instant...

This may not be the culprit as some changes take effect instantly and other take about 5 refreshes

Moving hdscanner-jboss-beans.xml out of deploy area means it NEVER sees a change.

• 3. Re: What is caching in Seam or JBoss?
              jaikiran

I don't really know what needs to be done to change the refresh period. It's certainly not related to hot deployment scanning, so changing/removing hdscanner-jboss-beans.xml isn't the solution. This is very specific to the way Seam was integrated in AS5. There a long discussion about this in the forums as well as in JIRA. Check this JIRA https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBAS-6590 and all the referenced forum threads and check if some of the solutions/workarounds mentioned in those threads work out for you in AS5. From what I know, this is fixed in AS6.

• 4. Re: What is caching in Seam or JBoss?
                tony.herstell1

Actually from observation; 5 seconds seems about right.

How do I turn it off?

• 5. Re: What is caching in Seam or JBoss?
                  tony.herstell1

Big problem is Seam doesn't work too well for AS6 (from my experience). In fact a new lead has just been added to make Seam 2 work with AS6.

But then I am probably wrong... Will look at that thread you gave me.

Awsome support.

Thx.

• 6. Re: What is caching in Seam or JBoss?
                    jaikiran

Tony Herstell wrote:

Big problem is Seam doesn't work too well for AS6 (from my experience).

Is there some JIRA which tracks that? Because AS6 is supposed to go Final very soon and if there's no JIRA related to this, then fixing such issues before Final, isn't going to be possible.

Tony Herstell wrote:

In fact a new lead has just been added to make Seam 2 work with AS6.

There's a new lead, yes. But that's for a different reason http://relation.to/Bloggers/SeamAndWeldLeadershipChanges

Overall, if AS6 is an option for you, then I would strongly recommend it instead of AS5. There are some Seam specific issues in AS5 which many users have reported and AFAIK, those issues have been fixed in AS6. The latest AS6 release that's out there is 6.0 CR1, so give it a try.

• 7. Re: What is caching in Seam or JBoss?
                      tony.herstell1

Useful back xref for Seam devlopers stumbling on this...

http://www.seamframework.org/Community/WhatIsCachingInSeamOrJBoss

• 8. Re: What is caching in Seam or JBoss?
                        cbensemann

Hi,

I work with Tony and am the Development Manager at the Software Factory. I looked at moving our apps over to jboss 6 (M1 - M3) and wasn't able to get them successfully deployed. I cant remember what errors I got at the time but as it wasn't my primary focus I gave up.

I was under the impression that seam 2 wouldn't be fully supported with jboss 6 until Seam 2.2.1.GA but I could well be wrong - not sure whats left between CR2 and GA.

I'll have a look at it again tomorrow and see if I can get our apps deployed under AS6 CR1

Craig

• 9. Re: What is caching in Seam or JBoss?
                          manarh

Hi Tony,

JBoss AS 6 should work for Seam 2.2.1.CRX. There are issues, but not so big to block any feature which works in AS 5. You cannot expect full support of Java EE6 technologies, but all what worked in AS 5 should be working.

If you find any unfiled bug/issue, please open a JIRA issue.

• 10. Re: What is caching in Seam or JBoss?
                            manarh

There will be released 2.2.1.CR3 very soon and then 2.2.1.Final only  with fixes for regressions filed against CR3 or CR2. We of course will be checking AS 6 Final, but what we did with 6.0.0.CR1, it says that we are on the right way.

• 11. Re: What is caching in Seam or JBoss?
                              tony.herstell1

That is awsome Marek,

Craig will add to his long list to  check against AS 6.

We are keen to move forwards but with a few projects to move forward on it takes time and we needed some confidence it won't cost us days and days in lost time.

Thx.

• 12. Re: What is caching in Seam or JBoss?
                                cbensemann

Hi Marek,

I've just tried deploying a number of our applications on AS6 CR1 and haven't had any luck so far. One of our apps fails cause it is using hibernate search https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JBSEAM-4714 and another is failing with the same sort of error as I originally had with M3 http://seamframework.org/Community/Seam2JPA2 I'll look into this a little further.

• 13. Re: What is caching in Seam or JBoss?
                                  manarh

Craig,

if you use Hibernate Search 3.1.1., which is bundled in Seam distribution 2.2.1.CRX, there is a need to upgrade to the last HSearch version 3.3.0.Final. HSearch is dependent on the last Hibernate Annotation 3.2.x, and this is also dependent on HIbernate core 3.6.0.

The example for JBoss AS 6 is in Seam Blog, DvdStore examples, how to package application archive to work on JBoss AS 6. One thing is important some features of Hsearch 3.3.x are not backward compatible with 3.1.1, which were/is bundled in Seam distribution. It is because of dependency on lucene 3.0 and also on some HSearch new features and changed API.

With regarding to using JPA2 features, it shoudn't be a problem, just don't add hibernate jars into your application, AS 6 already includes them.

• 14. Re: What is caching in Seam or JBoss?
                                    cbensemann

Hi Marek,

I downloaded Seam CR3 today and updated my projects. I've also updated the hibernate search libs as you suggested but until we can sort out the other issue (the EJB Timers or JPA2 or whatever the underlying issue is) I cant fully say whether I have search working successfully. I do not deploy any hibernate jars in my ear except for hibernate-search.jar so it shouldn't be a versioning conflict.

I haven't had a lot of time today so I haven't compared our applications to for example the DVD store app but currently our apps still dont deploy under AS6.

1 2 Previous Next