7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2013 7:10 PM by serverchief

LVM support?

marcik

Is it possible to create appliances with LVM paritions?

• 1. Re: LVM support?
          goldmann

Marcin,

Currently not, but it's planned: https://issues.jboss.org/browse/BGBUILD-235

--Marek

• 2. Re: LVM support?
            marcik

Thanks for quick answer.

Looking at this ticket, it's a different thing from what i'd want.

This ticket describes LVM volume as a target for an image. But I'd like to have LVM partitions inside appliance, to give them more flexibility. Or maybe it's already possible, i haven't found it in docs.

• 3. Re: LVM support?
              goldmann

Marcin,

This ticket is about what you described above, at least I understand this ticket like this

--Marek

• 4. Re: LVM support?
                marcik

Oh, thats good :-)

But as i wrote before - i'm quite sure that this ticket is about using whole LVM volume as target for a appliance storage, so no raw or qcow images on filesystem, to make it faster. But as i don't need that i'll be very happy if you'll end up with implementing LVM inside images :-)

• 5. Re: LVM support?
                  steawiec

Hi,

any chance to have lvm support in the future or did you quit to develope it???

Or there's a workaround to enable it in the .appl file?

thank you in advance

regards

• 6. Re: LVM support?
                    msavy

It is something we'd like to do in the future, but with some of the tools we're using at present it isn't possible.

• 7. Re: LVM support?
                      serverchief

BoxGrinder uses appliance-creator (aka thincrust) which is no longer maintained, however, there is a patch on thincrust mailing list to enable lvm support, which i tested and can confirm as functional.

BoxGrinder successefuly creates VM with LVM, however, when it comes to part of customizing it, it fails to identify the proper disk (since now its not direct /dev/vda2 for / but LVM based partition and hence it errors out).

I guess we need to add a logic to it to look for LVM partition instead of /dev/vda2 (or whatever its / partition is equivalent too).