1 2 3 Previous Next 34 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2018 2:00 PM by lightguard

Is seam 3 production ready release?

kem

Hi

I am familiar with seam 2. But I have to start a new project. The project should be delivered in sept-oct 2011. Does it make sense to start using seam 3 now? Is seam 3 production ready?

Regards,

khalil

• 1. Re: Is seam 3 production ready release?
          lightguard

We certainly say yes :) Which server will you be deploying to? In September / October time frame, I'm sure things will be rolling quite nicely with the project.

• 2. Re: Is seam 3 production ready release?
            florianhell

Absolute. All the small open Bugs will be fixed until ur final release. And weld is allready really stable for a while, so the main functions of seam 2 are stable and useable.

• 3. Re: Is seam 3 production ready release?
              kem

Hi,

I can use jboss or glassfish.

khalil

• 4. Re: Is seam 3 production ready release?
                lightguard

We recommend JBoss, it has less issues, but if you're going to use Glassfish, make sure to update the weld jar. There are instructions here on the website http://seamframework.org/Seam3/Compatibility I believe there is a newer version than what's in the instructions though so please double check.

• 5. Re: Is seam 3 production ready release?
                  lvdberg

Hi,

I personally think you should also consider the effort you need to get sufficient experience with Seam-3. I am working now for 3 years with Seam 2 and - luckily for me - I already use Maven (a pre-requisite for Seam 3!!), so if you've worked with maven before, you don't have that obstacle. If you don't , take a month or so, to learn and migrate !!

Although i agree with previous answers concerning the stability of a lot of the modules, others are not yet on that level and - depending on the requirements of your application, can form another obstacle.

For instance if you want to implement workflow, you need some additional migration because I don't see any support for jBPM at the moment and I have the feeling that everything has been shifted to Drools.

Look at your requirements first and ask yourself if your customer wants a product which solves his problem, or a beautiful state-of-the-art Seam-3 project. Normally the customer doesn't care and just wants a stable product for a fair price.

So it's basically up to you: do you want the bluepill or the redpill ?

Leo

• 6. Re: Is seam 3 production ready release?
                    kem

Hi

I agree with you Leo.

I think there is not enough doc on how to get started rapidly with seam 3. Although I am REALLY willing to switch to seam 3, I think it's not the right time yet.

Regards,

khalil

• 7. Re: Is seam 3 production ready release?
                      elfuhrer

Coming from Seam 2, migration to Seam 3 should be pretty much pleasant. I have seen people struggle with Seam claiming that it has a high learning curve, however the root cause was their lack of understanding of EE6 concepts

• 8. Re: Is seam 3 production ready release?
                        arg20

Seam 3 is a breeze of fresh air. Beautiful integration with EE6 through CDI extensions. Although some things need some polishing, mainly little bugs or things yet to be implemented, that happens to every project, it will become a mature release in no time.

• 9. Re: Is seam 3 production ready release?
                          lvdberg

Hi,

Please reread all of your own remarks as you where the financial director of your company who is responsible to make the final decision on your project:

• I'm sure things will be rolling quite nicely.

• All the small open Bugs will be fixed until ur final release.

• We recommend JBoss, it has less issues.

• I think there is not enough doc on how to get started rapidly with seam 3

• Although some things need some polishing, mainly little bugs or things yet to be implemented.

Leo

• 10. Re: Is seam 3 production ready release?
                            leonardo.devai

Khalil El Mazouari wrote on Apr 19, 2011 11:42:

I think there is not enough doc on how to get started rapidly with seam 3. Although I am REALLY willing to switch to seam 3

I agree with Khalil.
                            I used Seam 2 for about two years, it was not an easy learning curve since I basically started my life in java with it.

Perhaps someone could point to some good tutorial/advices links on how to get started with seam 3 and forge, creating a project using MySQL, using JBoss or Tomcat, configured persistence/datasource and more?

leonardo.devai@gmail.com

Thanks in advance :)

• 11. Re: Is seam 3 production ready release?
                              matkapx

Leonardo Devai wrote on May 18, 2011 05:05:

Khalil El Mazouari wrote on Apr 19, 2011 11:42:

I think there is not enough doc on how to get started rapidly with seam 3. Although I am REALLY willing to switch to seam 3

I agree with Khalil.
                              I used Seam 2 for about two years, it was not an easy learning curve since I basically started my life in java with it.

Perhaps someone could point to some good tutorial/advices links on how to get started with seam 3 and forge, creating a project using MySQL, using JBoss or Tomcat, configured persistence/datasource and more?

leonardo.devai@gmail.com

Thanks in advance :)

Seam 3.0.0 Final version released but i agree to Khalil and Leonard, there is not enough documentation for new to seam3 users.
                              I'm still working on Seam2 but it was hard do understand and get ready the enviroment to work with seam3 , i might be dummy for seam3 but , someone should prepare documentation for dummies.

Sincerly

• 12. Re: Is seam 3 production ready release?
                                asookazian

I have not looked extensively at EE6 or Seam 3 yet, but I do have extensive experience with EE5 and Seam 2.x.  Maven 2.x has a very steep learning curve, I used that for the past 1.5 years.  That's the problem with frameworks which use COC (convention over configuration) extensively (you don't know how things are working or configured until you dig deep).

I pointed out a need for migration documentation and examples for Seam2 to Seam3 migration.  Not sure if that's available yet.

WARNING: make sure you understand EE6 and Seam3 well enough to know if these stacks/frameworks will be sufficient in terms of non-functional requirements (e.g. scalability, performance, failover/clustering, etc.) otherwise you will be bit in the long run.  Following proven best practices and design patterns is a must of course.  It would be nice is these topics were covered in the docs as well.

• 13. Re: Is seam 3 production ready release?
                                  asookazian

Also, make performance tuning (and unit/integration testing) a regular part of your SDLC.  JBoss AS 5 perf tuning book is good and recommended.

• 14. Re: Is seam 3 production ready release?
                                    kem

Hi All and thanks for feedbacks

leo summarizes the situation well.
                                    All the search I did up to now, point to the same direction: seam3 is a promising framework but too early to start a production project with it. Actually, my clients don't care what framework I am using. So, lets play it safe, and use seam 2 for the moment.

khalil

1 2 3 Previous Next