I want to create a workflow for the request, creation, evaluation, finalization and storage of graphics created for the Arquillian project. Up until now you've been stuck with images I've created at 3am in the morning for presentations you have to give in 2 hours. Eventually someone is going to find a pineapple sitting on a beach chair in the middle of their slide when they were expecting an extension architecture diagram.
So here's my initial draft of the graphics workflow:
1. Request your graphic in the issue tracker (I'm happy to use github or jira, though github.com/arquillian/arquillian-artwork is probably better). Graphics include logos, icons, diagrams, figures, backgrounds, textures, photograph manipulations, text that needs some POW!, etc. Include in the ticket your ideas about what the graphic should be, what it should convey, color, size, what you want it to be used for (e.g. this graphic will only ever be on a computer screen versus this is going to be put on T-shirts, buttons, printed media). Links to other images that show some aspect (e.g. type of gloss, line thickness, etc.) that you want the proposed graphic to incorporate are good. If you need a diagram, sketch it out on paper, scan/photograph it, and upload it.
2. Ideally, you and I will chat a little more about what you envision. Then I'll post some mockups on a branch in github and everybody can pile on their 2 cents regarding which image they like best, which image they hate best, and the changes/tweaks they'd like to see in the next round of mockups. After the comment period, I'd make the request changes, and we'd repeat evaluating the mockups. Who gets to make the final decision of when an image is done...that's something you all need to work out amongst yourselves.
3. Once a graphic is final, it will be placed in the main branch on github in various formats (if applicable) so that everyone can have access to the best source image. Various formats will include differenct sizes, transparent and solid backgrounds, etc. Then the ticket is closed.
Questions the team needs to answer about workflow:
1. Evaluate the above workflow. Do you think this process will work for the team? What steps would you add or change? (Does the github repository arquillian-artwork make sense?)
2. How do we determine when a graphic's design is final and/or who makes that decision? Will it be Aslak, the extension lead that that graphic relates to, the person who requested the graphic or majority vote?
Questions the team needs to answer about prioritization:
At this moment, finishing some graphics for the website and finalizing Drone's logo are at the top of my priority list. However, this is a list of my own making. I'd prefer it if, as a team, we could:
1. Decide what graphics we think are needed
2. Which graphics need to be done sooner rather than later.
Note: While I'm proposing this workflow and writing like I'm the only one creating the graphics, that's totally not the case! This is all about community participation, and if other contributors now or in the future want to do some designs, please jump right in! The goal is to create a team around the visual, content and messaging aspects of the project.
You can find me in #jbosstesting as graphite6