1 2 Previous Next 21 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2012 7:47 AM by rmartinezjr

PHP client is unable to connect to HornetQ instance via STOMP

rmartinezjr

Hello,

I'm not sure If I'm following the Manual directly but my assumption (correct me if I'm wrong) is HornetQ natively speaks STOMP and any client like the PHP STOMP client library can be used establish connection and use the messaging services.

Following is a script  from the PHP maunal (changed the username and password a bit) and a sample run:

rmartinez@vbox1:~/stomp-tests$ time php first-stomp.php

Connection failed: Server is not responding

real          0m2.028s

user          0m0.000s

sys          0m0.020s

<?php

$queue  = '/queue/foo';
      $msg    = 'bar';

/* connection */
      try {
          $stomp = new Stomp('tcp://localhost:61613', 'guest123', 'guest123');
      } catch(StompException $e) { 
          //var_dump($e);
          die('Connection failed: ' . $e->getMessage());
      }

/* send a message to the queue 'foo' */
      $stomp->send($queue, $msg);

/* subscribe to messages from the queue 'foo' */
      $stomp->subscribe($queue);

/* read a frame */
      $frame = $stomp->readFrame();

if ($frame->body === $msg) {
          var_dump($frame);

/* acknowledge that the frame was received */
          $stomp->ack($frame);
      }

/* close connection */
      unset($stomp);

Do I need to run StompConnect?

• 1. Re: PHP client is unable to connect to HornetQ instance via STOMP
          jmesnil
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: PHP client is unable to connect to HornetQ instance via STOMP
            rmartinezjr

Hi Jeff,

Yes. I had it enabled and I'm getting the following text in console:

* [main] 2-May 19:57:29,897 INFO [NettyAcceptor]  Started Netty Acceptor version 3.2.5.Final-a96d88c localhost:61613 for STOMP protocol

• 3. Re: PHP client is unable to connect to HornetQ instance via STOMP
              rmartinezjr

I even tried binding stomp on 127.0.0.1 and modified the php code to connect to the same IP and still no luck...

* [main] 2-May 19:57:29,897 INFO [NettyAcceptor]  Started Netty Acceptor version 3.2.5.Final-a96d88c 127.0.0.1:61613 for STOMP protocol

• 4. Re: PHP client is unable to connect to HornetQ instance via STOMP
                gaohoward

What version of HornetQ are you using?

Howard

• 5. Re: PHP client is unable to connect to HornetQ instance via STOMP
                  rmartinezjr

Hello Howard,

I am using HornetQ Server version 2.2.14 Final

* [main] 2-May 20:22:25,274 INFO [NettyAcceptor]  Started Netty Acceptor version 3.2.5.Final-a96d88c 127.0.0.1:61613 for STOMP protocol

* [main] 2-May 20:22:25,274 INFO [HornetQServerImpl]  Server is now live

* [main] 2-May 20:22:25,275 INFO [HornetQServerImpl]  HornetQ Server version 2.2.14.Final (HQ_2_2_14_FINAL, 122) [b14e14f5-919e-11e1-8795-2f657509c14b]) started

I'm in the process of downloading OpenJDK to try to compile the sample Java-based STOMP-based application that ships with HornetQ to try to determine if this is a PHP client issue or not.

I have been reading a couple of threads that talks about using PHP with HornetQ with success so I am assuming that the current available module for PHP should work out of the box. I believe that the current PHP module understands STOMP 1.0 only.

• 6. Re: PHP client is unable to connect to HornetQ instance via STOMP
                    gaohoward

hmm, this doesn't look like a valid release. I didn't find a tag for it. Anyway I tried your script with latest HornetQ build and I think it works. The output is like

howard@howard-ThinkPad-W510$ php stomptest.php

object(StompFrame)#2 (3) {

["command"]=>

string(7) "MESSAGE"

["headers"]=>

array(7) {

["timestamp"]=>

string(13) "1335964232481"

["redelivered"]=>

string(5) "false"

["expires"]=>

string(1) "0"

["subscription"]=>

string(35) "subscription/jms.queue.ExampleQueue"

["priority"]=>

string(1) "4"

["message-id"]=>

string(2) "53"

["destination"]=>

string(22) "jms.queue.ExampleQueue"

}

["body"]=>

string(3) "bar"

}

Also don't use slash in the destionations. use . (dot) instead. And prefix the queue name with 'jms.queue.'.

I'd suggest you try the latest HornetQ.

Howard

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: PHP client is unable to connect to HornetQ instance via STOMP
                      gaohoward

ok I'm seeing there is a download link for 2.2.14. I'll try that too.

Howard

• 8. Re: PHP client is unable to connect to HornetQ instance via STOMP
                        gaohoward

well no problem with 2.2.14 on my machine. Make sure you get the configuration correct.

• 9. Re: PHP client is unable to connect to HornetQ instance via STOMP
                          rmartinezjr

Thanks Howard.

Interesting! I am trying to run HornetQ on an Ubuntu machine running as a VirtualBox instance. The Vbox instance has no active firewall whatsoever.

Below is a comparison between original configuration that shipped with the latest release versus modified configuration files (/media/DataHD/hornet-2.2.14-Final/config*).

rmartinez@vbox1:~/macbook-sites$ diff -rb hornetq-2.2.14.Final/config /media/DataHD/hornetq-2.2.14.Final/config

diff -rb hornetq-2.2.14.Final/config/stand-alone/non-clustered/hornetq-configuration.xml /media/DataHD/hornetq-2.2.14.Final/config/stand-alone/non-clustered/hornetq-configuration.xml

43a44,51

>

>       <acceptor name="stomp-acceptor">

>          <factory-class>org.hornetq.core.remoting.impl.netty.NettyAcceptorFactory</factory-class>

>          <param key="protocol"  value="stomp"/>

>          <param key="host" value="127.0.0.1" />

>          <param key="port"  value="61613"/>

>          <param key="connection-ttl"  value="20000"/>

>       </acceptor>

diff -rb hornetq-2.2.14.Final/config/stand-alone/non-clustered/hornetq-users.xml /media/DataHD/hornetq-2.2.14.Final/config/stand-alone/non-clustered/hornetq-users.xml

4c4

<    <defaultuser name="guest" password="guest">

---

>    <defaultuser name="guest" password="guest123">

diff -rb hornetq-2.2.14.Final/config/stand-alone/non-clustered/jndi.properties /media/DataHD/hornetq-2.2.14.Final/config/stand-alone/non-clustered/jndi.properties

2a3

> ; java.naming.provider.url=jnp://localhost:1099

And the console messages are the following:

***********************************************************************************

java  -XX:+UseParallelGC -XX:+AggressiveOpts -XX:+UseFastAccessorMethods -Xms512M -Xmx1024M -Dhornetq.config.dir=../config/stand-alone/non-clustered -Djava.util.logging.config.file=../config/stand-alone/non-clustered/logging.properties -Djava.library.path=. -classpath ../lib/twitter4j-core.jar:../lib/netty.jar:../lib/jnpserver.jar:../lib/jnp-client.jar:../lib/jboss-mc.jar:../lib/jboss-jms-api.jar:../lib/hornetq-twitter-integration.jar:../lib/hornetq-spring-integration.jar:../lib/hornetq-logging.jar:../lib/hornetq-jms.jar:../lib/hornetq-jms-client.jar:../lib/hornetq-jms-client-java5.jar:../lib/hornetq-jboss-as-integration.jar:../lib/hornetq-core.jar:../lib/hornetq-core-client.jar:../lib/hornetq-core-client-java5.jar:../lib/hornetq-bootstrap.jar:../config/stand-alone/non-clustered:../schemas/ org.hornetq.integration.bootstrap.HornetQBootstrapServer hornetq-beans.xml

***********************************************************************************

* [main] 3-May 0:2:24,443 INFO [HornetQBootstrapServer]  Starting HornetQ Server

* [main] 3-May 0:2:26,91 INFO [HornetQServerImpl]  live server is starting with configuration HornetQ Configuration (clustered=false,backup=false,sharedStore=true,journalDirectory=../data/journal,bindingsDirectory=../data/bindings,largeMessagesDirectory=../data/large-messages,pagingDirectory=../data/paging)

* [main] 3-May 0:2:26,92 INFO [HornetQServerImpl]  Waiting to obtain live lock

* [main] 3-May 0:2:26,120 INFO [JournalStorageManager]  Using AIO Journal

* [main] 3-May 0:2:26,145 WARNING [HornetQServerImpl]  Security risk! It has been detected that the cluster admin user and password have not been changed from the installation default. Please see the HornetQ user guide, cluster chapter, for instructions on how to do this.

* [main] 3-May 0:2:26,550 INFO [AIOFileLockNodeManager]  Waiting to obtain live lock

* [main] 3-May 0:2:26,550 INFO [AIOFileLockNodeManager]  Live Server Obtained live lock

* [main] 3-May 0:2:29,545 INFO [HornetQServerImpl]  trying to deploy queue jms.queue.DLQ

* [main] 3-May 0:2:29,617 INFO [HornetQServerImpl]  trying to deploy queue jms.queue.ExpiryQueue

* [main] 3-May 0:2:29,791 INFO [NettyAcceptor]  Started Netty Acceptor version 3.2.5.Final-a96d88c localhost:5445 for CORE protocol

* [main] 3-May 0:2:29,792 INFO [NettyAcceptor]  Started Netty Acceptor version 3.2.5.Final-a96d88c 127.0.0.1:61613 for STOMP protocol

* [main] 3-May 0:2:29,793 INFO [NettyAcceptor]  Started Netty Acceptor version 3.2.5.Final-a96d88c localhost:5455 for CORE protocol

* [main] 3-May 0:2:29,797 INFO [HornetQServerImpl]  Server is now live

* [main] 3-May 0:2:29,797 INFO [HornetQServerImpl]  HornetQ Server version 2.2.14.Final (HQ_2_2_14_FINAL, 122) [b14e14f5-919e-11e1-8795-2f657509c14b]) started

• 10. Re: PHP client is unable to connect to HornetQ instance via STOMP
                            jmesnil

Raul Martinez wrote:

diff -rb hornetq-2.2.14.Final/config/stand-alone/non-clustered/hornetq-users.xml /media/DataHD/hornetq-2.2.14.Final/config/stand-alone/non-clustered/hornetq-users.xml

4c4

<    <defaultuser name="guest" password="guest">

---

>    <defaultuser name="guest" password="guest123">

You tried to connect to Stomp with credentials guest123 / guest123

$stomp = new Stomp('tcp://localhost:61613', 'guest123', 'guest123');

but from your config file, you should use guest / guest123.

Could you try it?

• 11. Re: PHP client is unable to connect to HornetQ instance via STOMP
                              rmartinezjr

Hello Jeff,

Yeah. Sorry about that. I already updated the code to reflect the username that I have configured in hornet-users.xml. Still no luck, still getting  "Server is not responding".

• 12. Re: PHP client is unable to connect to HornetQ instance via STOMP
                                rmartinezjr

Following is a telnet session comparison between Apache Apollo and HornetQ. Apologies for doing the comparison but I just want to try out HornetQ stomp protocol really :-)

I am deliberately making sure that I get an ERROR message due to incorrect password.

Apache Apollo

rmartinez@vbox1:~$ telnet localhost 61613

Trying ::1...

Connected to localhost.localdomain.

Escape character is '^]'.

CONNECT

login: guest

passcode: guest

request-id: 1

^@  

ERROR

message:Authentication failed. Credentials=[user=guest]

HornetQ Server version 2.2.14.Final (HQ_2_2_14_FINAL, 122)

rmartinez@vbox1:~$ telnet localhost 61613

Trying ::1...

Trying 127.0.0.1...

Connected to localhost.

Escape character is '^]'.

CONNECT

login: guest

passcode: guest

request-id: 1

^@

The HorneQ session did not acknowledge the CONNECT frame and I waited for a couple of minutes and still nothing.

I tested this scenario for HornetQ on the following instances:

Instance #1:

Ubuntu 10.04

Linux vbox1 2.6.38-11-generic #50-Ubuntu SMP Mon Sep 12 21:17:25 UTC 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

OpenJDK runtime  1.11pre

OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.0-b11, mixed mode)

VirtualBox

Instance #2:

CentOS 6

Linux vbox2 2.6.32-71.el6.i686 #1 SMP Fri Nov 12 04:17:17 GMT 2010 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

OpenJDK 1.7.4

OpenJDK Client VM build 14.0-b16, mixed mode

Instance #3:

Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3

java version "1.6.0_31"

Java(TM)  SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_31-b04-415-11M3646)

Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.6-b01-415, mixed mode)

The HornetQ behavior is the same. It don't get to see error response as an acknowledgement to CONNECT frame entered via a telnet session.

The library Stomp-PHP Library provided by Hiram Chirino and his team is also complaining about the server not acknowleding the connection request.

https://github.com/dejanb/stomp-php/blob/master/src/main/FuseSource/Stomp/Stomp.php#L210

• 13. Re: PHP client is unable to connect to HornetQ instance via STOMP
                                  gaohoward

Hmm, I use this stomp client.

http://pecl.php.net/package/stomp

Looks like you are using a different one. I'll try that.

Howard

• 14. Re: PHP client is unable to connect to HornetQ instance via STOMP
                                    gaohoward

I tried the php-stomp and I can run your script successfully. I think it may be the network settings of your virtual box that causes the problem.

Can you try it on a non-virtual machine?

Howard

1 2 Previous Next