1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 5, 2012 2:15 AM by wdfink

At this point, most say going from JBoss 4 to 5 is a bad decision. How about moving from JBoss EAP 4 to JBoss EAP 5?

ndipiazza

I started a discussion the other day: "How to upgrade from JBoss4 to JBoss5" - https://community.jboss.org/message/757106#757106

The reason I decided to make this document was to help the company I am contracting for perform an upgrade. They are wanting to move from JBoss AS4 to AS5. No problem, I've done it a bunch of times and I was going to help them do it.

When the various folks took a look at my upgrade guide... they said "Why in the world would you want to move from 4 to 5.... both unsupported and non-maintained software?" They said the problem is if you run into a bug while upgrading to JBoss AS5... you will be on your own to either fix it or upgrade to a later version of JBoss.

But I incorrectly assumed they were using the community versions of JBoss. I found out we are actually on JBoss EAP versions at this company. Something I don't have much experience with.

Here's my question: If we find a bug in JBoss AS5 EAP that blocks us... will Redhat still refuse to fix it?

• 1. Re: At this point, most say going from JBoss 4 to 5 is a bad decision. How about moving from JBoss EAP 4 to JBoss EAP 5?
          wdfink

As the customer have a Red Hat subscription they might ask the support direct .

You can have a look at the Red Hat support policy

In short:

AS4.3 has only Mantenance Support until Jan 2013 (4.2 is outdated)

AS5 Full support Nov 2012, Maintenance Nov 2016

AS6 Full support Jun 2016, Maintenance Jun 2019

Under a special subscription you might have 3 extra years 'Extended Life support'. But remember Maintenance/Extended is only for limited bugfixing.

So it is on the customer, if you use AS5 you might run into an issue where you have the need to upgrade for features (i.e. EE6).

To answer ayou question, if you find such a blocker and it is a bug it will be fixed until Nov 2016.