5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2013 2:45 PM by Wolf-Dieter Fink

Confusion about EAP 6.0.1 licensing

Darrell Burgan Newbie

Hey everyone, sorry if this is a dumb question but I need an unequivocal answer so I know what to tell my management.

We are running JBoss AS 7.1.1 in production right now, and are planning to switch to EAP 6.0.1 very soon. We spoke with Red Hat sales about it and got an understanding of how the licensing model works. I thought I had it figured out what we were going to purchase.

But then yesterday I saw this:

http://planet.jboss.org/post/eap_binaries_available_for_all_developers

Based on reading this, here is my understanding:

• We will still want to proceed with purchasing licenses for the instances of EAP 6.0.1 that we will run in production. We want support and the latest bug fixes.
      • We do not, however, need to purchase licenses for the instances of EAP that we use in our development environments, nor in our internal testing environments.
      • And, it is fine to run the identical EAP 6.0.1 binaries we run in production in our development and internal testing environments.

Can someone authoritative from Red Hat please confirm my understanding? Do we give up some kind of support if we are not licensing the copies of EAP 6.0.1 that our developers use?

Thanks,

Darrell Burgan