1 Reply Latest reply on May 8, 2013 1:43 PM by Pedro Ruivo

RpcManager#getMembers vs. Transport#getMembers - should they be in sync?

Carsten Lohmann Newbie

Hi,

I noticed that upon shutting down a clusternode/cachemanager, the RpcManager#getMembers method returns the new cluster state quite a bit earlier compared to Transport#getMembers.

In my scenario (a unit test), a node (=CacheManager instance) is stopped while another thread fires Callables via the ExecutorService on that node.

At some point I get

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Target node IBIS-60036 is not a cluster member, members are [IBIS-29670, IBIS-53537]

at org.infinispan.distexec.DefaultExecutorService.submit(DefaultExecutorService.java:454)

which is expected. Here the members come from RpcManager#getMembers.

But when I invoke cacheManager.getTransport().getMembers() directly after that (that is still before the VIEW_CHANGED event has arrived), I still get the old cluster state with 3 members.

Only after more than 80ms, the VIEW_CHANGED event arrives and Transport#getMembers returns the new cluster state.

Is that to be expected?

In that case I assume, it's better to use RpcManager#getMembers in most cases (if I have a cache instance and each node is supposed to have that cache), right?

(relates to ISPN-2641).

Cheers,

Carsten