4 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2013 10:17 AM by shawkins

Why does teiid 7.x cannot automatically find metadatas for ldap instead we write our own translators???

jaigates

Hi ramesh/steve/others

i am using teiid 7.7.1(inside jboss soa-p 5.3.1), i earlier i have raised a ticket on how to do basic configuration to make ldap as a datasouce (https://community.jboss.org/message/817290#817290) and successfully deployed the same.

Now, creating fresh discussion on this translator aspect

1. Why does teiid cannot automatically find metadatas ? Ambisiouc question running on my mid is when I compare oracle-translator brings in all database easily why cant ldap-translator?
      2. Is it available in any other versions or any roadmap for the same? I am in architecutural design phase of my applicaiton expected to go production this year end.
      3. This will endup in making us write lot of implementtion in translator layer? ---> correct me if i am wrong
      4. Any workaround for this  or should i live with writing my own translator?
      5. Any examples of ldap translator available for me to refer/reuse?

Most important question is beyond scope of this thread, but glab to check with experts to get some suggessions :

• My requirement is to expose ldap as webservices for internal&external use. As of now we have decided to use EDS as virtualdatabse in our framework. As i am going to start now is it better to use ldapcontext of javax naming apis in seriver and expose as WS or goahead with teiid and write my own translator? I immediete functionality is to use ldap as service rather use as database. I am planning to spend little more time now on teiid ldap capabilitied and decide by nextweek to choose which one?

Pls share ur thoughts

• 1. Re: Why does teiid 7.x cannot automatically find metadatas for ldap instead we write our own translators???
          shawkins

> Why does teiid cannot automatically find metadatas ? Ambisiouc question running on my mid is when I compare oracle-translator brings in all database easily why cant ldap-translator?

We posed that question to the original ldap translator developer and his reply was that the mapping was too idiosyncratic and having the ability to specify the metadata via generic DDL with Teiid 8+ was a good enough near term direction.

> Is it available in any other versions or any roadmap for the same? I am in architecutural design phase of my applicaiton expected to go production this year end.

No, it is not on the road map.

> This will endup in making us write lot of implementtion in translator layer? ---> correct me if i am wrong

You will have logic for the metadata facilities, but presumably you will not have to re-implement the querying logic.  In either case anything that you do that seems generally useful can be contributed back to the project.

> Any workaround for this  or should i live with writing my own translator?

In Teiid 8+ you can use generic DDL https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/TEIID/DDL+Metadata which can be supplied in a variety of ways.

> Any examples of ldap translator available for me to refer/reuse?

Not that I'm aware of, which may be indicative of the original issues - that the metadata mapping may be too idiosyncratic.

Steve

• 2. Re: Why does teiid 7.x cannot automatically find metadatas for ldap instead we write our own translators???
            rareddy

With Teiid 7.7 or with Teiid 8.x, you have an option to use Teiid Designer, and build your LDAP source model, but remember to fill out all the "NameInSource" properties for all the tables and columns, just as put them manually in the custom translator.

• 3. Re: Why does teiid 7.x cannot automatically find metadatas for ldap instead we write our own translators???
              jaigates

any tips for this ?

Most important question is beyond scope of this thread, but glab to check with experts to get some suggessions :

• My requirement is to expose ldap as webservices for internal&external use. As of now we have decided to use EDS as virtualdatabse in our framework. As i am going to start now is it better to use ldapcontext of javax naming apis in seriver and expose as WS or goahead with teiid and write my own translator? I immediete functionality is to use ldap as service rather use as database. I am planning to spend little more time now on teiid ldap capabilitied and decide by nextweek to choose which one?

Pls share ur thoughts

• 4. Re: Why does teiid 7.x cannot automatically find metadatas for ldap instead we write our own translators???
                shawkins

I may not understand your concerns enough to comment meaningfully.  It would seem that the choice of ldap vs. a database is determined by the environment you are providing integration for.  If there is an ldap instance you want to expose in alternative ways, then integration through Teiid can be a good choice.  Are you indicating that you have alternatives, such as using a database (perhaps loaded through ETL from you ldap instance) as a starting point for you integration?

Steve