1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 10, 2014 5:06 PM by jayshaughnessy

Clarification on 32/64 bit?

brandondash

"Support for 64-bit is limited to Linux on x86_64; RHQ is supported on other 64-bit platforms only when the OS is in 32-bit compatibility mode."

Can this be explained please? I've been trying for nearly two months to get RHQ installed on a 64-bit Window 2008 R2 server. I tried installing using 32-bit Java. That failed early and often. The best I've been able to do is get it installed with  with 64-bit Java 7_51 and 64-bit Postgres 9.2, but the agent cannot see Postgres or the server's own JBoss. (see thread here https://community.jboss.org/thread/236067). It has been pointed out that perhaps that is related to the services being run as other accounts, but that answer is confusing to me. Even if you install postgres with all default values it creates its own service account to run it, so that would mean that "out of the box" RHQ can't even see its own prerequisite components?

Obviously I'm missing some key element. Maybe somebody can set me straight because I'm pulling my hair out here!

regards,

brandon-

• 1. Re: Clarification on 32/64 bit?
          jayshaughnessy

The reason 64-bit Java on windows is not supported is because the Tanuki

Java Service Wrapper (the tool we use to mange the Windows services that

run the RHQ components) does not distribute a 64-bit Win version for

free.  If you procure a 64-bit version of the JSW then you can run RHQ

with 64-bit Java.  If you try to run 64-bit Java with 32-bit JSW (which

is what we distribute) it will not process signals correctly (you should

see big warning in the logfile when you start up the server).

Assuming you're going to run 32-bit Java on Windows, it is important to

know that you need to have a JDK, not a JRE.

See https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/RHQ/Windows+Installation for

all of the information I know of at the moment.  If you follow all of

this and still have issues, please let me know.  Perhaps there are fixes

in the pending 4.10 distribution of RHQ that are still causing an issue

for you.

As for the process visibility issues, other than the agent

process/service account being able to see the processes I don't know

what could be the issue.