5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2014 8:53 AM by rahul tandon

EJB pool size configuration in JBOSS 7.1.0 (Thunder)

rahul tandon Newbie

My EJB 2.1 application has about 35+ session beans (all stateless) & I need to set max pooled instances of EACH BEAN to 500.
      I referred to this post - Re: Setting max pool size in Jboss 7.1.0.Beta1 ; defined a common pool for each bean (i.e- each of the 35 bean's descriptor had the same bean-instance-pool-ref) and then set the pool size to 500 in standalone.xml:

snippet of jboss-ejb3.xml file in each of the 35 beans:

<assembly-descriptor> 

<p:pool> 

<ejb-name>*</ejb-name> 

<p:bean-instance-pool-ref>my-new-pool</p:bean-instance-pool-ref> 

</p:pool> 

</assembly-descriptor>

Entry in standalone.xml ejb3 subsystem:

<strict-max-pool name="my-new-pool" max-pool-size="500" instance-acquisition-timeout="5" instance-acquisition-timeout-unit="MINUTES"/> 

My query is - does above config in standalone mean each bean can have max 500 instances ? Or does it apply to overall number of instances in the pool regardless of bean-type?

In case it applies to all beans regardless of bean-type; is it advisable to define pool-size by averaging it out ? (i.e - 35 * 500 = 17500) , OR - should i define a separate pool (i.e - 35 pools) for each bean and then define max-pool-size for each pool individually in standalone.xml file ? What is the recommended approach , performance benefit of either approach ?

Any insight into the above is highly appreciated. Thanks in advance..