8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2014 6:52 PM by clebert.suconic

Large messages lost between cluster nodes after failover

shainsky

Hello.

I have a cluster with two "live-backup" pairs: Node1-live/Node1-backup and Node2-live/Node2-backup, both with failback configuration.

Producer send messages to Node1 via durable connection, consumer receives messages from Node2.

The problem appears when I make these steps:
      1. Send the large message to Node1-live, wait until the message came to Node1-live. The large message itself will appear in [<HORNET>/data/large-messages] directory.

2. Kill Node1-live. Node1-backup will become live and start to re-send large message to Node2-live.

3. Start Node1-live. It will synchronize with Node1-backup, become live and try to shutdown Node1-backup.

At this moment Node1-backup will start turning off, but before the Node1-backup JVM-process die, it will try to finish transferring large message to Node2-live.

If I kill Node1-backup JVM-process at this moment, Node1-live _will not_ start to resend this message.

Is it proper behavior? Or some kind of misconfiguration? Or just a bug?

Is there a solution to guarantee the delivery of large message in such cluster topology?

Thank you in advance.

• 1. Re: Large messages lost between cluster nodes after failover
          clebert.suconic

It depends if the message was acknowledged or not. you ack the message while receiving the message.. if you did it so you won't receive the message after a crash (as you already acked it)

You can use the print-data to debug this. What version are you using?

• 2. Re: Large messages lost between cluster nodes after failover
            shainsky

Sorry, but what do you mean by "you ack the message"? The consumer doesn't acknowledge it because it didn't start receiveing it yet - message still transferring from Node1-backup to Node2-live.

My version is 2.4.1 from GitHub repo.

• 3. Re: Large messages lost between cluster nodes after failover
              shainsky

I will try to explain in other words.

Phase 1. Large message (1Gb) came to Node1-live. Node1-backup contains the replica of this Large_File. Both files are stored in <hornet_dir>/data/large-messages/. The producer receives the ack from Node1.

Phase 2. Node1-live starts transferring the Large_File to Node2. The Large_File still in <hornet_dir>/data/large-messages/*.msg on both Node1-live and Node1-backup nodes.

Phase 3. Node1-live crashes while transferring. Node1-backup becomes active and starts to send the Large_File to Node2 from the beginning.

Phase 4. I restart Node1-live. It discovers that the Node1-backup is active and initiates the synchronization. At this moment the Node1-backup DELETES the Large_File from <hornet_dir>/data/large-messages/ (as well as it deletes the large message from queue, am I right?) and tries to shutdown to allow the failback. But it's JVM still stays alive to let the last netty thread to finish sending the Large_File to Node2.

The problem is: If we kill the Node1-backup at this moment, Node1-live will not re-send the Large_File.

• 4. Re: Large messages lost between cluster nodes after failover
                shainsky

Sorry, but still no ideas how to solve the problem?

• 5. Re: Large messages lost between cluster nodes after failover
                  clebert.suconic

You are talking about replica...

But clustering != Replication

Is there a way you could create a testcase based on the examples?

• 6. Re: Large messages lost between cluster nodes after failover
                    clebert.suconic

So, I read your message again... this is about failover, not clustering... clustering = message redistribution.

I believe you are failing over while the backup is synchronizing the data with the live.

The backup is not really functional until you have synchronized your data.

And the message will not be available for consumption until your client has finished transmitting it, and committed it in case it was transactional.

I would need some idea on how you are sending it.. when you are killing the live server and what's happening before I can give you better answer. But so far I believe the issue is expected as it doesn't seem that you waited the message or the server to be in sync.

• 7. Re: Re: Large messages lost between cluster nodes after failover
                      shainsky

Sorry for the delay. I attached log files from Node1-Live and Node1-backup and put my comments right inside logs.

Here is the scenario:

1. Node1-live started
                                                                                                2. Node1-backup started

3. Large message started transferring
                         from producer to Node1-Live

4. Large message received, replicated
                         by Node1-Backup and started transferring to Node2

5. [Ctrl + C]

6. Node1-Backup came live and resumed transferring
                                                                                                   the large message to Node 2

7. Node1-Live restarted
                                                                                                8. Node1-backup discovered that Node1-live restarted

9. Node1-backup sent synchronization info to Node1-live

10. Node1-Live synchronized with Node1-backup

11. Node1-Live sent 'shutdown' signal to Node1-backup

12. Node1-Live became 'live' again (failed back).
                          Large message transferring didn't resume from Node1-Live.

13. Node1-backup received 'shutdown' signal and
                                                                                                    coming back to 'backup' mode

14. IMPORTANT! Look at the Thread pool - there's still
                                                                                                one thread transferring large message from Node1-backup to Node2.

15. [Ctrl + c]. Node1-Backup stopped transferring large message.
                                                                                                    Large message is lost!

topology.jpg

• 8. Re: Large messages lost between cluster nodes after failover
                        clebert.suconic

What you mean by 6 (resumed transferring large message).

We don't have such operation. The client will either complete sending or not. If the message wasn't finished the client should have received an exception for not having the operation complete.

How you're sending the large message? Persistent message I assume.

Why don't you attach your testcase? it would probably be easier to understand it (well.. if the testcase is easy to run).