1. So from the issue I understand that I would not be able to use Teiid designer while using Teiid 8.10.1, Is this the right assumption or am I missing anything?
- You only need to connect from Teiid Designer to Teiid server for doing the preview of the results, if you do not care about it, the Designer you have will works fine.
- The restriction that Teiid Designer has to a particular version is an superficial one, so that it can manage the metadata language enhancements correctly. It should have supported newer version of the Teiid runtime at the previous version of Teiid metadata. For example, running a VDB with Teiid 8.8 version of metadata on Teiid runtime >= Teiid 8.8. Designer team is fixing this issue, should be in next release.
- I suggest you try JBoss Developer Studio from here JBoss Developer Studio - Overview , this is integrated product which is easy to install, and have latest patches. See this for work around [TEIIDDES-2464] NPE trying to connect to Teiid server for importing - JBoss Issue Tracker
2. If the above assumption is right the what is the other tool that I should be using? or should i go the Dynamic VDB route.
Well, that is the choice you need to make. If you are comfortable in hand coding a VDB (these can get complex), this is the better choice. But Designer helps with lot UI based design. very soon the VDB produced from Designer will be a Dynamic VDB.
More over the next version of Designer may be right around the corner. I do not have dates, but hopefully someone from Designer team will chime in with expected dates.
Thank you Ramesh for the clarification and woudl look at the solution that you have provided
We're planning on a Teiid Designer 9.1 release next week which should solve your issue.