7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2016 1:50 AM by pranavk

Infinispan/jgroups version upgrade in Teiid embedded

pranavk

Hi,

I noticed that the Infinispan version used in Teiid embedded is quite old and off (5.2.7) while currently v8 is out. I tried upgrading to v8 of Infinispan, I noticed that result set caching thus works fine in local mode after the upgrade. But problems arise when I started to use Resultset caching in clustered environment. It first gave me some errors due to an older version of jgroups (it was expecting the newer 3.6.4). When I excluded that, it started giving me errors due to the fact it was referencing a newer version jboss-logging library. I subsequently received a marshalling library error, after resolving the logging library issue.

I wanted to ask, whether there's a way that I can upgrade the underneath Infinispan while using with Teiid embedded?

Also, shouldn't this be migrated to the latest versions anyway ?

Regards,

Pranav

• 1. Re: Infinispan/jgroups version upgrade in Teiid embedded
          shawkins

> I wanted to ask, whether there's a way that I can upgrade the underneath Infinispan while using with Teiid embedded?

I can't say for sure.  What you are trying to do would be the first pass.  As long as infinispan and the required dependencies are all api compatible, then you can try replacing the transitive set of dependencies.  If that doesn't work however then it's not possible without some patching.

> Also, shouldn't this be migrated to the latest versions anyway ?

Unfortunately embedded doesn't really function as a standalone project in that way.  It is the container free version of Teiid, but it inherits all of the dependencies from the target container version.  Since the EAP dependencies move more slowly than the projects, we are still targeting an older infinispan.  We will be releasing both a Teiid 8.13 and a Teiid 9.0 that target a much newer Wildfly 10 platform as the preferred way to address this.  Ideally we would let them move independently, but that introduces potentially a significant amount of work we would otherwise like to avoid.

• 2. Re: Infinispan/jgroups version upgrade in Teiid embedded
            pranavk

Thanks. I will move ahead later with the way I was attempting, and let you know if I reach a conclusive point.

• 3. Re: Infinispan/jgroups version upgrade in Teiid embedded
              pranavk

Hi,

Teiid 8.13 still comes with the quite old v5.2.11 Infinispan version for its internal use (prep plan caching and result set caching). I understand the issues you explained above, but it would be great to somehow have this infrastructure upgraded, as I would be able to use the same sure-shot running instance for other data storage and caching purposes. So in regard to that :

What kind of patching are you talking about in the above reply?

Do you see this happening for Teiid 9 from the EAP side, which can be incorporated for Embedded?

Thanks again,

Pranav

• 4. Re: Infinispan/jgroups version upgrade in Teiid embedded
                rareddy

Pranav,

Teiid 8.13 should be using the Infinispan 7.2.3, that is the version Wildfly is using and it should be working with that. The Embedded will also use the same version. Where do you see it is using the v5.2.11 ?

Ramesh..

• 5. Re: Infinispan/jgroups version upgrade in Teiid embedded
                  pranavk

Thanks Ramesh,

I know teiid-parent pom mentions 7.2.3 in the dependency versions, but I guess that is being used in the infinispan translator which is avaible.

At its core, for RS caching/prepared plans I see that the Teiid embedded server still uses Infinspan v5.2.11 with Teiid 8.13. You can see the same using java jconsole where Infinispan mbeans can be viewed. It clearly mentions the version being used as 5.2.11.

Pranav

• 6. Re: Infinispan/jgroups version upgrade in Teiid embedded
                    rareddy

That depends on how you put together your Teiid embedded application's classpath. As of 8.13 we completely removed Teiid embedded kit, now all the dependencies are driven through the Maven. So, if your maven project defines the dependency on the Teiid version correctly then all the transparent dependencies will follow.

Ramesh..

• 7. Re: Infinispan/jgroups version upgrade in Teiid embedded
                      pranavk

Thanks again Ramesh,

Sorry for the much delayed response, I was off work.

You are right, my application's classpath setup was leading me to having the old version still come up. I am now getting v7.2.3 from Teiid runtime project.

Pranav