5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2016 9:18 AM by rareddy

Build VDB from Eclipse command line

jpmat

Dear all,

In my company, we are migrating to DV 6.2 (based on Teiid 8.7). We use Teiid Designer to build VDB and Subversion to track changes to VDB projects. We are thinking to track VDB errors / warnings with CI server like Jenkins.

Q1) Is there an Eclipse "application" implementation available in Teiid Designer code to be able to build VDB from Eclipse command line using -application option (see here for the same for an Eclipse Java project) ?

Q2) Does Komodo is an option for us ? Is it compatible with DV 6.2 ? Is it already supported by RedHat ?

Thanks for your help

Jean-Pierre

• 1. Re: Build VDB from Eclipse command line
          rareddy

We are thinking to track VDB errors / warnings with CI server like Jenkins.

Are you building the models continuously or in any automated way other than using Designer to check for the errors/warnings? How are planning to assert that something is indeed wrong?

Q1) Is there an Eclipse "application" implementation available in Teiid Designer code to be able to build VDB from Eclipse command line using -application option (see here for the same for an Eclipse Java project) ?

No, there is no such tool available based on Eclipse. But you can  You can use Designer to develop your VDB, or either export as Dynamic VDB or design a Dynamic VDB. Then you can build small test framework using the "Embedded Teiid" and try deploying the VDB into it. Typically the deploying part will validate if the VDB is valid or not.

Q2) Does Komodo is an option for us ? Is it compatible with DV 6.2 ? Is it already supported by RedHat ?

Take a look at VDB Builder at Teiid Tooling - JBoss Community The tooling team is building a way to build vdbs on the command line. The VDB you build will be compatible with 6.2 as it builds Dynamic VDBs. No it is not yet supported by the Red Hat. This is mainly being designed as test tool for Komodo framework.

Ramesh..

• 2. Re: Build VDB from Eclipse command line
            jpmat

Are you building the models continuously or in any automated way other than using Designer to check for the errors/warnings? How are planning to assert that something is indeed wrong?

We are multiple developers of the same VDB. And an operation team can also commit changes to VDB. The idea is to execute a build on server side each time a commit is received. It allows to detect as earliest as possible when last commit breaks something.

Our plan is firstly to fix once all the warnings. After yes, the idea is to find automated way to list errors / warnings. If one error or one warning is back, then the server side build will be considered as failed.

I found warnings are stored in the vdb.xml file. We will extract them to start. But I think Eclipse -application is the good way to find warnings, even outside of models included in the VDB.

Thanks for the little help.

Jean-Pierre

• 3. Re: Build VDB from Eclipse command line
              rareddy

The best option is to build a small test framework using Teiid embedded as I suggested. Or you can use Arquillian to test against a running server.

embedded example - https://github.com/teiid/teiid/blob/master/test-integration/common/src/test/java/org/teiid/jdbc/TestQueryPlans.java

Arquillian example - teiid/IntegrationTestDynamicViewDefinition.java at master · teiid/teiid · GitHub

• 4. Re: Build VDB from Eclipse command line
                jpmat

Hmmmm, but what we'd like is not execute test queries (we use BQT for that). We'd like to detect errors / warnings as with Teiid Designer validation. Embedded Teiid will not help for that if I'm not wrong.

• 5. Re: Build VDB from Eclipse command line
                  rareddy

How can you execute BQT kind of tests and find out validation errors? BQT style tests are designed for regression testing to test a datasource or a resultset, not validation. I do not know if BQT framework has way to integrate with Jenkins?

BTW all the query validation in Designer comes from Teiid engine, basically the Teiid engine does the same at the time of deploying your VDB into the engine. Given that, it does not matter if you are using Teiid Embedded or Teiid Server you get the same behavior. Only thing is Designer does go into much more details about warnings for facets of properties/fields/tables. So, I suggest figure out what you really want to test then you can find the right tools.

Ramesh..