4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2017 10:51 AM by shawkins

Teiid 10.0.0 Postgresql driver version

lukyer

Hi,
      what postgresql driver should one use with actual Teiid 10 running on WildFly 11 to use all the Teiid's power? Do you have any recommendations or constrains when to use which one?
      I tried several drivers from https://jdbc.postgresql.org/download.html and figured out that 9.4-1203 JDBC 42 is the newest working driver for my application.

Newer drivers cause Teiid to fail on datasource creation with error "Reason:TEIID60011 No column found on table xxxx.pg_toast.pg_toast_16446 with name chunk_id"

Is it a bug in Teiid, postgres driver or my application? Are there any reasons why to use and why to not use certain driver versions?

Thank you for clarification.

• 1. Re: Teiid 10.0.0 Postgresql driver version
          shawkins

> what postgresql driver should one use with actual Teiid 10 running on WildFly 11 to use all the Teiid's power?

We periodically update our pg driver support.  From community experience the recommendation would be to use 9.6 - the last issue against that version was [TEIID-4950] PostgreSQL Linux ODBC driver v09.06.0100 and newer does not work with Teiid Server 9.1.1 - JBoss Issue Trac…

However it looks like we need to make that recommendation in the docs as well.

> Is it a bug in Teiid, postgres driver or my application? Are there any reasons why to use and why to not use certain driver versions?

Teiid's pg emulation is not complete - it targets specific features and the necessary system tables and syntax from the set of supported pg clients.  So a newer client version may use a new metadata query or other mechanism that needs investigated as to how to best support - disable a feature, or add more emulation.

Can you log this as an issue, then we'll investigate more.

Steve

• 2. Re: Teiid 10.0.0 Postgresql driver version
            lukyer

> Teiid's pg emulation is not complete - it targets specific features and the necessary system tables and syntax from the set of supported pg clients.  So a newer client version may use a new metadata query or other mechanism that needs investigated as to how to best support - disable a feature, or add more emulation.

So what is the actual benefit of using newer postgres driver in teiid? Isn't it just better to use older reliable one? I just need to know what minimum postgres driver's version should i use in my datasources to use all features from Teiid. If there is no reason (features) to use newer version, i don't want to risk incompatibility.

• 3. Re: Teiid 10.0.0 Postgresql driver version
              shawkins

> So what is the actual benefit of using newer postgres driver in teiid? Isn't it just better to use older reliable one?

There isn't much benefit from a Teiid perspective as we are not following the latest and greatest pg features that would be exposed by a newer driver.  If you don't hit a specific issue with an older version, then yes you should likely stay with the older version.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Teiid 10.0.0 Postgresql driver version
                shawkins

I need to further clarify my response.  What I said above in terms of a issue and emulation support is for postgresql odbc drivers connecting to Teiid.  For drivers connecting Teiid to pg the statement is still correct "There isn't much benefit from a Teiid perspective as we are not following the latest and greatest pg features that would be exposed by a newer driver.  If you don't hit a specific issue with an older version, then yes you should likely stay with the older version."

As part of the issue you logged I'll update docs and recommendations in several places about both the odbc and jdbc driver usage.