1 2 3 Previous Next 34 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2007 2:52 PM by bryanche

No free download of final RHDS?

the_dude

Hi,

I am a bit confused with the following passage found on the RHDS main site: "Red Hat Developer Studio will be available as a new subscription offering soon."

Does it mean you cannot download the final RHDS for free?

• 1. Re: No free download of final RHDS?
          sabrashevich

It will be free, but if you need developer support or additional Red Hat software for development purposes, you may additionally purchase Red Hat Developer subscriptions.
          See here:

http://www.redhat.com/developers/subscriptions.html

• 2. Re: No free download of final RHDS?
            bryanche

Just to clarify: Red Hat Developer Studio will require a subscription. However, Red Hat Developer Studio is 100% open source. So, you can download the individual Eclipse plugins in Red Hat Developer Studio from the JBoss Tools project.

What a subscription provides is a bundled and integrated JBoss Enterprise Application Platform, RHN access to Red Hat Enterprise Linux, as well as updates.

• 3. Re: No free download of final RHDS?
              magoicochea

I thought that RHDS was more than just a few eclipse plug-ins, or at least that is what I've read here from the developers so how can you get it just by downloading the plugins?

• 4. Re: No free download of final RHDS?
                bryanche

That's correct. Red Hat Developer Studio is a subscription product that integrates tooling and platforms. But, since it is open source, all the individual components of it are available from jboss.org, eclipse.org, and other open source projects.

Note that the Exadel plugins we open sourced at JBoss Tools are the "crown jewels" of Red Hat Developer Studio. We spent several months with a large engineering team just to open source those plugins. No other Eclipse tools vendor open sources their most valuable plugins.

If you are looking for a pre-assembled, certified, upgradeable, and supportable development environment, then hopefully you will find value in our subscription offering. But, you can always get our latest stuff for free in open source--whether it's Eclipse tooling or Seam or Hibernate or JBoss AS.

• 5. Re: No free download of final RHDS?

It is available the file 'rhdevstudio-win32-1.0.0.beta1.jar' for windows users and at section 1.2 of "Getting Start" link is recommended to run 'install.jar'. The rhdevstudio-win32-1.0.0.beta1.jar doesn't contain the 'install.jar' file.

So, how can I install the rhds?

• 6. Re: No free download of final RHDS?
                    bryanche

just type "[PATH-TO-JAVA]\java -jar rhdevstudio-win32-1.0.0.beta1.jar"

• 7. Re: No free download of final RHDS?
                      magoicochea

My doubts are the following:

- Is there going to be an install guide for JBoss Tools like the one for RHDS or are on our own for configuring Eclipse Europa?

- Do this tools come bundled with the jars that we need to develop the projects like Exadel Studio did? Or do we have to download the JSF implementations and then add them manually like you do with Eclipse WTP?

• 8. Re: No free download of final RHDS?
                        bryanche

"magoicochea" wrote:
                        My doubts are the following:

- Is there going to be an install guide for JBoss Tools like the one for RHDS or are on our own for configuring Eclipse Europa?

http://wiki.jboss.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=InstallingJBossToolsNightlyBuilds

"magoicochea" wrote:
                        - Do this tools come bundled with the jars that we need to develop the projects like Exadel Studio did? Or do we have to download the JSF implementations and then add them manually like you do with Eclipse WTP?

JBoss Tools is a project for Eclipse plugins, so it doesn't come with all the jars. RHDS will come with all the jars--and all the runtime components too, like JBoss AS. Note that Exadel Studio Pro did not bundle all the runtime components, and it also was not free. In fact, RHDS will be several times cheaper than Exadel Studio Pro while coming with a lot more software and features.

• 9. Re: No free download of final RHDS?

"bryanche" wrote:
                          just type "[PATH-TO-JAVA]\java -jar rhdevstudio-win32-1.0.0.beta1.jar"

Thank you.

• 10. Re: No free download of final RHDS?
                            the_dude

"bryanche" wrote:

JBoss Tools is a project for Eclipse plugins, so it doesn't come with all the jars. RHDS will come with all the jars--and all the runtime components too, like JBoss AS.

So it will be possible to build an Eclipse with JBoss Tools that looks / behaves like RHDS?

Sorry for asking, it's just that I was quite happy with JBoss IDE. I would like to use RHDS as well without the urge of an immediate subscription (which might be an option once I need support).

In case no one mentioned it today: Thank you for all the good work, I hope RHDS will be a great success.

• 11. Re: No free download of final RHDS?
                              bryanche

If you were quite happy with JBoss IDE, JBoss Tools provides everything that JBoss IDE did, plus all the new plugins that we developed and open sourced from Exadel Studio Pro. So, JBoss Tools gives you more than what you had before.

It is possible to build a development environment like RHDS with JBoss Tools and other components. The difference is that you will have to assemble this environment yourself, and we can't make any guarantees about the various combinations of components and tooling that you mix. Also, RHDS includes the JBoss Enterprise Application Platform. This has the same versions of JBoss AS, Seam, Hibernate, etc. that we certify together and support in production. Finally, RHDS will make upgrading to new versions much easier as we will test and certify upgrading to matched versions of runtime components and tooling.

• 12. Re: No free download of final RHDS?
                                grandfatha

wow... that hit me like a truck... no free download for RHDS? Thats tough. I understand that you guys put a lot of effort into this... but I thought this would be available via 1-click-download.

Oh well, back to Netbeans and command line tools.

• 13. Re: No free download of final RHDS?
                                  susnet

"bryanche" wrote:
                                  In fact, RHDS will be several times cheaper than Exadel Studio Pro while coming with a lot more software and features.

I don't get this. Exadel Studio Pro cost $199 per year and I read here: https://www.redhat.com/apps/store/developers/ that the cheapest RHDS subscription cost $3,500.
                                  That is many times more expensive than Exadel Studio Pro. In fact I think it is an absurd price especially for individual developers.

• 14. Re: No free download of final RHDS?
                                    bryanche

We have not yet announced the pricing for Red Hat Developer Studio, but it will be significantly cheaper than Exadel Studio Pro was. The current developer offerings you cited at https://www.redhat.com/apps/store/developers/ include copies of ALL software that Red Hat provides (Linux, GFS, Clustering, Directory Server, JBoss, etc) and provides unlimited incidents via phone/web across all this software. They are primarily aimed at larger development organizations.

1 2 3 Previous Next