1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2009 8:54 AM by maxandersen

JBDS - no seam - no AS - per default

margotmedia

Hello community,

I am using JBDS

Version: 2.0.0.CR2
      Build id: R200901291303
      Build date: 01/29/2009 13:22

running on debian lenny using sun's java version 6.12

and was trying to work through some of the official tutorials for a first seam application. Now the problem is, that per default I do not have any AS shipped with JBDS, nor do I have the seam framework (cant chose in the drop-down box).

+

all the examples in Help/Project Examples do not work and result in errors like the DVD Store EAR example:

target Runtime jboss-eap Runtime is not defined
      Seam runtime "Seam 2.0.FP" specified for Seam project "dvdstore" does not exist
      etc.

What is the root cause of all these problems? I mean, I even cant create a clean and fresh project to start with - and I really dont want to install all the libraries and frameworks as well as the as - I thought everything is shipped with JBDS? :(

• 1. Re: JBDS - no seam - no AS - per default
          maxandersen

That can happen in two ways:

1) You use the JBDS installer that does not have the eap runtime

2) You deselected the option in the installer about instlaling the eap runtime.

• 2. Re: JBDS - no seam - no AS - per default
            margotmedia

"max.andersen@jboss.com" wrote:
            That can happen in two ways:

1) You use the JBDS installer that does not have the eap runtime

2) You deselected the option in the installer about instlaling the eap runtime.

Ah - thank you. The reason was 1) - I didnt know about two installers tho! :-)

• 3. Re: JBDS - no seam - no AS - per default
              margotmedia

Okay - now the problem with the project examples still persist - why dont these work out of the box?

• 4. Re: JBDS - no seam - no AS - per default
                maxandersen

They do with the latest release!

Which version of JBDS are you running and what example are you trying ?

i.e. we haven't done a GA yet with project examples so maybe you are using an older version ?

• 5. Re: JBDS - no seam - no AS - per default
                  margotmedia

They do with the latest release!

Which version of JBDS are you running and what example are you trying ?

i.e. we haven't done a GA yet with project examples so maybe you are using an older version ?

Read up - told ya what version I was using - but here it is again (should be latest):

JBoss Developer Studio

Version: 2.0.0.CR2
                  Build id: R200901291303
                  Build date: 01/29/2009 13:22

Anyway, I was trying all available seam examples - while the project that spews out least errors is the dvdstore example.

Like - with that one (dvdstore that is) - I get an error that the jboss-eap runtime is not defined - and when i try to quickfix it - (like selecting JBoss 4.2 and pressing Finnish) nothing happens - the error persists.

Any ideas?

• 6. Re: JBDS - no seam - no AS - per default
                    maxandersen

...the project examples were updated/done after CR2 so there might be some small diffs.

But don't you have a preinstalled EAP installed ?
                    (if you start with an existing workspace we don't change that so to get everything automatically configure you need a fresh workspace)

Which error is it that you quick fix ?

If you set the runtime then the errors about runtime should definitely just go away - others might be hanging around, but that is other issues.

• 7. Re: JBDS - no seam - no AS - per default
                      margotmedia

...the project examples were updated/done after CR2 so there might be some small diffs.

But don't you have a preinstalled EAP installed ?
                      (if you start with an existing workspace we don't change that so to get everything automatically configure you need a fresh workspace)

Which error is it that you quick fix ?

If you set the runtime then the errors about runtime should definitely just go away - others might be hanging around, but that is other issues.

Yes, I have a preinstalled EAP installed (the one that shipped with CR2)

And no, I deleted my workspace before I installed it (and for the sake of argument, just reinstalled so to ensure its non of my issues + deleted the workspace again => same issue).

The errors/issues are the following:

[img]http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/8079/jbdsseamerrors.png[/img]

And even after setting the runtime, the error does NOT go away! :(

• 8. Re: JBDS - no seam - no AS - per default
                        margotmedia

Nobody's interested in fixing this?

*push*

• 9. Re: JBDS - no seam - no AS - per default
                          snjeza

JBoss Runtime names have been changed by fixing https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/JBIDE-3641
                          Screencast http://screencast.com/t/QSrjugJQprL shows how to fix an invalid runtime using Quickfixes and/or the project's Properties page.

• 10. Re: JBDS - no seam - no AS - per default
                            margotmedia

"snjeza" wrote:
                            JBoss Runtime names have been changed by fixing https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/JBIDE-3641
                            Screencast http://screencast.com/t/QSrjugJQprL shows how to fix an invalid runtime using Quickfixes and/or the project's Properties page.

I already said here that quickfixing it does NOT work + the examples should be updated then - since they're not working.

Besides that - as just mentioned - quickfixing it doesnt do the trick .. if I select the appropriate jboss runtime the error still persists....

• 11. Re: JBDS - no seam - no AS - per default
                              maxandersen

from the screenshot it looks like you only quickfixed one out of 4 projects ?

• 12. Re: JBDS - no seam - no AS - per default
                                margotmedia

from the screenshot it looks like you only quickfixed one out of 4 projects ?

Well, first as I said three times before - the quickfix does _not_ work. Second, ofc this was just an example - none of the seam sample projects work.

Why dont you just try to reproduce it?

• 13. Re: JBDS - no seam - no AS - per default
                                  maxandersen

Hi,

I'm sorry but it works for me and so has Snjezana (she sent the link to the video showing it)

The project examples are setup to be configured like this for the GA release where quickfix would not be needed if you have the proper named runtimes/server.

But even in that case using the quickfix should work and does so for me in the latest build and in the CR2 I have installed.

Any chance you have disabled automatic build ?

• 14. Re: JBDS - no seam - no AS - per default
                                    margotmedia

Hi,

I'm sorry but it works for me and so has Snjezana (she sent the link to the video showing it)

The project examples are setup to be configured like this for the GA release where quickfix would not be needed if you have the proper named runtimes/server.

But even in that case using the quickfix should work and does so for me in the latest build and in the CR2 I have installed.

Any chance you have disabled automatic build ?

Well,

I am using the runtime/server/eap that is shipped with it. The problem is (as I said so often before) that quickfixing will not fix the problem - it'll just *refresh* and the error persists as if I never did anything in the first place.

How to check if I have disabled automatic build? (and - if it is enabled by default then I will not have it disabled, since I didnt change anything after the install and already reinstalled it several times with the same error happening).

:(

1 2 Previous Next