1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 29, 2009 4:11 PM by jbalunas

Proposal for rich:verbatim tag

gwzoller

Dev community:

I'd like to propose a new RF tag, rich:verbatim. The idea for this tag came from some conversations in the Seam group where I needed essentially a servlet-like ability to bypass JSF, which was too slow for a particular need I had (rendering very large tables of 1000s of rows). The problem I had was that servlets don't have practical access to Seam's contexts (where the data is located).

I could use (and I tried) JSF's f:verbatim tag, which appeared to work on first blush. But it turns out this tag (at least in my JSF library's implementation) seems to cache output so that if I wrap an f:verbatim with an a4j:outputPanel and rerender it, it would rerender from the cache--not a good thing if the backing bean holding the table data changed!

So to fix this problem I created a trival RF tag, rich:verbatim, which simply takes the content of the value attribute and dumps it into the dom.

I implemented the code in the 3.3.1.GA source and it works like a charm--rerendering and all. I can now render tables >1000 rows in sub-second time...perfect for my application. (Of course the rows rendered are "raw", i.e. no RF elements, but that is the constraint of this feature.)

I'm very happy with it, and I hope you will consider it a worthwhile addition to the RF library going forward.

The JIRA w/code is here: https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/RF-7464

Thanks,
      Greg