1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2006 10:54 PM by micacooper

BusinessWeek - Oracle buying JBoss

djr667

Sorry to polute your Forum with the same message again, but this seems to contradict your previous answer:

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/feb2006/tc20060209_810527.htm

More at

http://news.com.com/2061-10795_3-6037727.html?tag=nl
      http://news.com.com/2061-10807_3-6038230.html?tag=nefd.aof

We are planning a big investment in JBoss, and would not be so keen if Oracle is at the helm.

Dave

• 1. Re: BusinessWeek - Oracle buying JBoss
          djr667

Dear Mr JBoss

I guess if it is true then JBoss cannot say so until the deal is signed. So no answer is an answer.

Anyhow, typing "oracle buying jboss" into google gives enough backup, including:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/02/10/oracle_opens_source_acquisition

Dave

• 2. Re: BusinessWeek - Oracle buying JBoss

Maybe the JBoss part of the story is BS. Seems amazing to me that Oracle buys two open source companies and both just happen to be MySQL storage engine options. Maybe talk of the other purchases is just a smoke screen to cover the fact that they are trying to cut off MySQL's oxygen. All of this is very bad in my opinion if it is true. Best piece of news Geronimo will ever get.

• 3. Re: BusinessWeek - Oracle buying JBoss
              mica.cooper

Dave,

This is a large concern of ours. We have implemented JBoss at some very large client sites. We switched the former #1 BEA implementation on Windows to JBoss and it cured all their ills.

Now this supposed rumor is coming out. I have quizzed folks on this. I found out, that JBoss employees are saying that they are under lockdown and WILL lose their jobs to comment on it. IF this was a false rumor, they would openly and publicly deny it.

IF Oracle was to purchase JBoss, we would, unfortunately switch to another vendor. We have recently had great success using Resin putting a Fortune 50 ERP system on it...yes, strange but true, JSP -> SOA -> POJO. Oracle is a NO-GO for us as they constantly demonstrate their lack of understanding of customers. Also, this is their what, 3rd J2EE system...Is there any confidence this will result any better?

Marc, I am a great fan of yours, and have rooted for you for many years. PLEASE DONT SELL TO LARRY!

Mica

• 4. Re: BusinessWeek - Oracle buying JBoss
                originator

There is an article dated Feb14 @http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=180200853&subSection=Breaking+News
                WHICH says Oracle Buys Sleepycat, Is JBoss Next?

Is it true?

• 5. Re: BusinessWeek - Oracle buying JBoss

I am a little shocked at the lack of chatter about this in the forums. It is one of two things. No one believes it. No one cares. I am sure it is true just not a done deal (maybe never will be). So that leaves no one cares. Maybe there is third option. Quiet resignation. Big numbers are being thrown around and who can resist that. Why should they? I think appealing to Marc and Co. to not sell is a waste of time and probably unfair. If any of us were in the same boat we also would take the money. Having said that: Marc should watch "It's a wonderful life" specifically the scene where Mr. Potter is trying to get George to sell him the building and loan. I would guess it will feel strangely familiar.

• 6. Re: BusinessWeek - Oracle buying JBoss
                    starksm64

No point in talking about rumors.

• 7. Re: BusinessWeek - Oracle buying JBoss
                      djr667

Scott

If the buying 'rumour' was only published by Java journals I would agree with you. But BusinessWeek has much more weight.

Of course I do not know what Oracle would do with JBoss. The options vary from killing it to letting it float free. But based on how they changed JDeveloper from the original Borland 'open' IDE to being Oracle specific, I do not hold out much hope for JBoss' future if the buyout goes ahead. I fear Oracle's modus operandi will conflict with JBoss', if/how/when this conflict will be resolved can only drag out and could leave JBoss in limbo.

Unfortunately we are largely commited to converting to JBoss right now, and could do without this uncertainty. I have been told to evaluate alternatives with a view to moving off JBoss within a year if need be.

Dave

• 8. Re: BusinessWeek - Oracle buying JBoss
                        mica.cooper

Dave,

Seems Scott's reply supports the buyout. I will reiterate, ...if it were false, JBoss would openly deny it. Since they do not, they try to quell the chatter as rumor, they are supporting the position of a buyout. In a buyout, the more chatter, the more customer uneasiness, more articles will speak out against it,

....AND MOST IMPORTANT

The more likely the buyer will back out or demand a lower price. So, the more vocal we are, the less likely it will take place. Obviously Scott would like this 'rumor' to stop as it would affect the $$$millions employees and owners would make off the deal.

I am concerned there is so little discussion on an issue so important to so many folks. I doubt if Oracle wants to kill Jboss. More likely they want to support an open source stack for an ERP package. Something like JBoss/OracleLite/ERP. There is a definite plan in place at Oracle...my guess is the money is a done deal, its now down to wrangling the positions of people like Marc, will take in Oracle.

Mica

• 9. Re: BusinessWeek - Oracle buying JBoss
                          starksm64

The rumor is false, hence no reason to talk about it. Is that clear enough?

• 10. Re: BusinessWeek - Oracle buying JBoss
                            djr667

Clear enough.

Any particular reason why it could not of been said earlier?

Dave

• 11. Re: BusinessWeek - Oracle buying JBoss
                              micacooper

Mr Scott Stark...

Seems your full of shinola and lying to the users. This is no rumor that JBoss is selling out....ITS FACT!

Since you said it was a rumor and now your caught...CAN WE TALK ABOUT IT NOW????

Mica Cooper

• 12. Re: BusinessWeek - Oracle buying JBoss
                                anil.saldhana

Mr.Mica,
                                respectfully, I ask that you should not address Scott in the language you are using. He has not lied in this forum thread. All he was referring to was the question:"Is Oracle buying JBoss?".

If you want additional information, please get the email address from here:
                                http://www.jboss.com/redhat and email them to address your concerns.

Majority of the bread on my table is due to the hard work, Scott puts in towards JBoss codebase and quality releases. I guess your paycheck is tied in too (I grasp reading your posts).

So tone it down.

• 13. GOOOOO Marc! GIVE REDHAT HELL!!!!
                                  micacooper

Mr. Anil,

Regardless of Oracle, Red Hat, etc.

We were talking about 'buying rumors' and trying to be coy about wording doesn't change that fact. Do the users not have a right to discuss the potential issues, implications, and ask questions???

I met Marc a couple of times and supported him from the start, and I know he has no problem speaking his mind, with a very clear, loud, sharp, and descriptive language.

EXPECT NO MORE OR LESS FROM HIS USERS!

GOOOOO Marc! GIVE REDHAT HELL!!!!

Mica
                                  PS. One of the things that endears Marc to me is preciscely the way he speaks his mind and mows down people with FUD, Anil

• 14. Re: BusinessWeek - Oracle buying JBoss
                                    zurchman

This rumor has been floating for weeks, now we've got the rest of the story.

I agree with Mr. Saldhana. Mr. Stark has always been a straight shooter (although known to be somewhat terse at times).

The atmosphere surrounding these types of negotiations is enormously stressful, and Scott didn't have to say anything.

Scott and Mark don't know me (very well), but JBoss makes me and my clients a little bit richer every day.

Scott and Mark deserve to cash in on the tremendous amount of work that they've put into their products and organization.

1 2 Previous Next