1 2 3 Previous Next 132 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2011 1:57 AM by selfcare

RichFaces in the short-term future. What is your vision?

Update: the overview is on the wiki - http://labs.jboss.com/wiki/RichFacesFuture

This is a subject for the free discussion. Be participated if you have something to suggest.

We have a long-long list of the components in our TODO list. Probably, it is for 3-5 years upfront. Some of them are registered in the Jira already, some of them just on the paper.
      The important question is about priorities. We have realized that the priorities are changed time-to-time. So, we discuss the list right before the next development cycle to pick up the next set (and postpone the rest). Now, it is such time.

New components is not only what we should do in the future. The very important tasks are:
      * bug fixing according to the users' feedback
      * enhancement of the existing components

As soon as RichFaces is not only components library, but an Ajax Framework (former Ajax4jsf part), our permanent task is making this part is easy to use and understand.

What do you thing about it? What do you expect from the RichFaces in the future? We are open to discuss now.

• 1. Re: RichFaces in the short-term future. What is your vision?
          baz

Hello,
          There are some questions that bothered me:

1. Is it possible to integrate richfaces with other component librarys?
          2. Why do we have to implement each component in each library?
            I do not know the answers to this question. But i will be happier iff i know them:-)

What we need in short term (integrated with richfaces):
            • selectManyShuttle (trinidad has it)
            • selectOrderShuttle (trinidad has it)
            • some component for Selecting ranges (startDate..EndDate, minInteger..maxInteger)
            • Dialogs for asking questions (eg: yes_no, cancel_ok)

Besides that i suggest to make more and cleaner examples (or add enhancements to existing components) solving problems described in the user forum
              eg.

1. How to show a row of a dataTable in a modal panel
              2. How to highlight rows in a dataTable when mouse is over
              3. How to select one row of a dataTable by clicking on it, even if clicked in an inputText of this row.

That should be enough for a starting point
                Ciao,
                Carsten

• 2. Re: RichFaces in the short-term future. What is your vision?

I think that Ajax part is more important. My company have only several developers, but we have created our own component library. It is known that it is impossible to create component, which will meet the needs of all developers. Very often we have to create own components.

It would be very usefull to have opportunity to integrate richfaces with other libraries. This way developers will have mush more components. It is worth to think about it.

As for me, I need several more components. It is popup menu and confirmation box. But I know that you need time to develop them. That is why I should develop them by myself.

It would be very usefull to give opportunity developers to send their own components to richfaces team. This way we shall have a change to exchange components. Later the best of them could be added to main richfaces library. I mean the need a community to make components faster. I have sent you client validation library, but have founded and fixed several bugs for today. I really can help by my component, but they cannot be tested good while they are not in Richfaces library. And it is a problem.

So, I can give some advices for future:
            1. Make ajax part more effective.
            2. Create real community.
            3. Don't create new components if you have bugs in your library. Then you will fix them, there will be much more bugs!

And thank you for your good work.

• 3. Re: RichFaces in the short-term future. What is your vision?
              viggo.navarsete

Hi,

I think Richfaces is awesome compared to other JSF component libraries, both in terms of documentation, ease of use, and response on the user forum.
              My specific need for the future (short term) is the support for running JSF applications as portlets using a JSF portlet bridge. I have been able to do so, but not with Richfaces. I hope the Richfaces team will consider such issues for the next releases.

One issue to solve: http://jira.jboss.com/jira/browse/RF-572

Best regards,
              Viggo

• 4. Re: RichFaces in the short-term future. What is your vision?
                juanignaciosl

I've been using A4J+RF for some months ago and I feel really confortable with them (well, no longer 'them' but 'it' now).

First of all, I must congratulate you for two 3.1 novelties: unifying both libraries and calendar component.

There are some things in my wishlist yet:
                - Ajax communication seems a little 'fragile'. Even with a4j:log and h:messages (for validation issues) sometimes it's really difficult for us to find out why response content is not the expected.
                - An xHTML editor. There are some compatible JS ones, but they have a problem I've also had with dojo's calendar: when you use those kind of JS-initialized component inside tabs, they reload every time you switch between tabs (swichType Ajax).
                - File uploading with progressbar.
                - Inline input text editor (like the Flickr one you use to edit photo titles and comments).

• 5. Re: RichFaces in the short-term future. What is your vision?
                  mail.micke

I second the praise above. Forum feed back is great, documentation is great, examples are great, a lot of great ness all around.

Things which I would like are:
                  - A RichFaces cookbook, where we could collect the usefull tips from the forum. Perhaps we already have this in the wiki.
                  - Would be cool with built in support for dynamic columns in the data table.
                  - Dropdown for the year in the calendar, an upcoming use case of mine is to select birth date. (perhaps this is doable already?)
                  - I'd like to see some more advanced tutorials.
                  - Also think it would be good if there was a means of contributing components. Perhaps some well defined guide of the structure and layout of the submitted code to make your lives easier. Perhaps the notion of sandbox could be used?

Thats all.

Thanks again,
                  Mike

• 6. Re: RichFaces in the short-term future. What is your vision?
                    fabmars

- Components contribution, definitely.

- An improved suggestion box component that enables to select a suggested *object* instead of a suggested String.

- File upload component with progressbar (like the IceFaces one)

- More panel components (borderlayout, etc)

• 7. Re: RichFaces in the short-term future. What is your vision?
                      romaintaz

Hi,

First thanks for your framework, it is really helpful !

Some idea for new components:
                      - I agree, we need an upload file component (with or without progress bar, it is not the most important thing here);

- Like baz, components for range selection (especially date) can be a good thing.

- A rich text editor, maybe?

- An editable combobox. Something between an input field and a suggestion box: The user can enter manually the value (with suggestion), but he can also choose the value using only the mouse (like a basic combobox).

- Maybe some validation components that made client-side validation. For example to test if a field has a value, to test a date or number format.

- Some popup windows to replace ugly Javascript alert() or prompt()...

By the way, I think it will be great to have something in the wiki (?) where you list all components that will be created for futures releases. I know that some of them may be found in the Jira, but a page dedicated for that may be interesting... And eventually with a vote function, in order to give priority for each new component...

• 8. Re: RichFaces in the short-term future. What is your vision?
                        mail.micke

FYI: I added a RichFaces cookbook page in the wiki.

Would be cool if people contributed things to this, like the myfaces wiki.

https://labs.jboss.com/wiki/RichFacesCookbook

• 9. Re: RichFaces in the short-term future. What is your vision?
                          mustaghattack

These 2 components would be cool :

* again, ajax file upload

* rich text editor : I integrated TinyMCE but it's not so easy :
                          -> problem when rendering the editor with ajax (need to manually add the textarea to the tinymce engine and remove it plus some other weird stuff)
                          -> problem when loading the javascript : loadScript works but it the script load other script it fails (tiny_mce.js needs plenty of other scripts). Thus it can't package it in a separate project.

• 10. Re: RichFaces in the short-term future. What is your vision?
                            damianharvey

Firstly, thanks for your work. Version 3.1 is very cool. You guys have done a fantastic job.

As for features for the wish-list:

I like the sound of the combined combo+suggestionbox. It would be very handy to be able to easily use it with objects (rather than strings) with a similar method to s:convertEntity.

Also nice would be an upload widget with progress bar - should be very similar to functionality provided by SWFupload (http://swfupload.mammon.se/)

How about a carousel based on something like this http://zend.lojcomm.com.br/icarousel/example3.asp

Thanks,

Damian.

• 11. Re: RichFaces in the short-term future. What is your vision?

"damianharvey" wrote:

How about a carousel based on something like this http://zend.lojcomm.com.br/icarousel/example3.asp

Such kind of components I can create by myself with CDK in one or two days without even bothering our developer team (Like I did with rich:effect). However, I am afraid people start to complain that we produce "toys", but not the real components.

• 12. Re: RichFaces in the short-term future. What is your vision?

"SergeySmirnov" wrote:
                                "damianharvey" wrote:

Such kind of components I can create by myself with CDK in one or two days without even bothering our developer team (Like I did with rich:effect). However, I am afraid people start to complain that we produce "toys", but not the real components.

Then maybe I need a CDK user guide to create my own "toys" while waiting for a perfect real component :)

• 13. Re: RichFaces in the short-term future. What is your vision?

"dxxvi" wrote:
                                  "SergeySmirnov" wrote:
                                  "damianharvey" wrote:

Then maybe I need a CDK user guide to create my own "toys" while waiting for a perfect real component :)

To do such "toys" (i.e. pure output components ) you need to know very little. Probably, the same that I know (it is truly little). The whole RichFaces, ie 67 components are created with CDK. It is so many places you can look at.

• 14. Re: RichFaces in the short-term future. What is your vision?

Hi Sergey,

Really nice from you guys giving so much attention to the community. FOr me the prioritys shold be:

1-Documentation (On the last releases we can see so much improvement on that, keep the nice work)

2-Off course bug fixing!

3-Performance improvement

4- If you say it is really easy to do "toys", I give you a suggestion, make a little specification about the Rich Toys, than make an area on the site or forum or whatelse to the users contribute their toys, you do´nt need to include them on the richfaces library, it should be the components plug and play that JSF always dreamed, but we REALLY need a specification for simplicity and avoid mess.

5-Keep the nice work

Best Regards,

1 2 3 Previous Next