5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2008 8:53 AM by dimitris

jboss metadata pom

dimitris

I'm making some changes to the jboss-metadata pom, for getting closer to a Beta7 release:

- Updated to org.jboss.microcontainer:jboss-container:jar:2.0.0.Beta9 (was Beta6)
      - and removed the jboss:jbossxb exclusion (AFAICT, not needed anymore)
      - Updated to org.jboss:jboss-vfs:jar:2.0.0.Beta10 (from Beta4)
      - Updated to org.jboss:jbossxb:jar:2.0.0.CR8 (from CR5)
      - Update to org.jboss.javaee:jboss-javaee:jar:5.0.0.Beta3Update1 (from Beta3)
      - Update to org.jboss:jboss-test:jar:1.0.5.GA:test (from 1.0.4.GA)

Possible Inconsistencies
      ------------------
      - Shouldn't the groupId for jboss-vfs be changed to 'org.jboss.vfs' (or org.jboss.virtual), rather than org.jboss ?
      - Same for jbossxb. Shouldn't groupId be 'org.jboss.xb'?
      - Same for org.jboss.jaxws
      - Same for metadata project itself

- common-logging-spi appears with 2 names:
      jboss:jboss-common-logging-spi:jar:2.0.4.GA:compile
      jboss:jboss-logging-spi:jar:2.0.3.GA:compile

• 1. Re: jboss metadata pom
          pgier

I agree with all your suggestions for fixing the inconsistencies (org.jboss.virtual, etc..)
          I think eventually we want nothing or very few things with a groupId of "org.jboss". Instead they should have something like "org.jboss.<project-name>".

• 2. Re: jboss metadata pom
            heiko.braun

Yes, we should clean it up before CR1 and use consistent naming schemes across artifacts. I like Pauls idea (http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&t=132942) to start over with a clean repository so that in order to check you could disable the legacy one which contains artifacts with old names.

If we don't do it now, we stick with it.

• 3. Re: jboss metadata pom
              heiko.braun

Currently we have a mix of artifacts that have been converted from our previous repository format (was this automated, Paul?), which contain wrong names and stuff that's been properly added (i.e. manual release).

I think we need to migrate everything to the proper naming convention at once. Especially with CR1 being close everyday new artifacts pop-up and reference legacy names. This way we never get to a clean repo.

• 4. Re: jboss metadata pom
                heiko.braun

But maybe this is just another academic discussion?

• 5. Re: jboss metadata pom
                  dimitris

The first thing is to have clear guidelines to apply to whatever new version is produced. This includes groupId/componentIds, repository location and versioning.

While doing this, keep notes (JIRA tasks?) of things that need fixing in the poms of future version of related projects.

Migration of legacy stuff to the legacy repo could happen in the background.