1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2007 5:06 PM by starksm64

TC6 integration 1st pass

bill.burke

Ok, I took a snapshot of Tomcat 6 SVN and integrated it with JBoss. It had some annotation mistakes from spec (@DeclareRoles and @EJB was in the wrong package) so I had to modify it.

The only thing I tested was the JMX-Console and EJB3 webservices. I had run the web testsuite before the integration and got a lot of errors so didn't bother trying after the integration. Also, Anil said he would fix any problems anyways.

The repository has a snapshot of the sourcecode if you need to look back to it.

By end of next week (hopefully a lot sooner), I hope to have the 1st iteration of injection into Tomcat for Java EE 5. This will require minor changes to Tomcat and also a refactoring of EJB3 so that code can be shared between these modules.

• 1. Re: TC6 integration 1st pass
          anil.saldhana

Looks like we have a tc6 folder in the tomcat module with all/some of the tc5 stuff. What this essentially means is:

a) Brian Stansberry, Ben Wang, Scott and I have to keep track of missing stuff in tc6 that we checked into tc5 when you were doing the migration.
          b) We have to make a decision here that all updates to the tomcat module in HEAD happen in the tc6 layer. If not, we will have to maintain changes in both tc5 and tc6. I will leave it to Scott for the decision. But I guess, we want to move to tc6 anyway for JEE5.

• 2. Re: TC6 integration 1st pass
            starksm64

Bill asked if the tc5 package should be forked and I said yes as will we be using tc6 and there will be many changes to the deployer layer for jboss5. The tc5 stuff in head should be frozen.

• 3. Re: TC6 integration 1st pass
              anil.saldhana

http://jira.jboss.com/jira/browse/JBAS-3330

Jira issue for the audit of this initiative.

• 4. Re: TC6 integration 1st pass
                anil.saldhana

An issue that is immediate is that TC6 has a requirement for JDK5. Does this mean HEAD goes JDK5 asap or we go retro route?

• 5. Re: TC6 integration 1st pass
                  starksm64

The javaee5 containers required jdk5. Where are we at with the jbossweb integration in head?

• 6. Re: TC6 integration 1st pass
                    bill.burke

working on it. Have @EJB, @PersistenceUnit, and @Resource working on servlets. Working on XML now. Its going to be a hack job a little until Tomcat can be refactored.

• 7. Re: TC6 integration 1st pass
                      starksm64

And this is a hack of tomcat6 or a jbossweb based on tomcat6?

• 8. Re: TC6 integration 1st pass
                        anil.saldhana

http://jira.jboss.com/jira/browse/JBAS-3390

What is the current state of the protocol handler for use by the Connector? The Http11Protocol is deprecated and there seems to be a need to use Http11AprProtocol. But there is no way the plugged in "Http11AprProtocol" is getting used for the "setAttribute" call, because the protocolHandler is taken as the default "Http11Protocol" (even though the protocolHandlerClassName has been changed to the Apr one).

So the connector interface needs to be updated such that the Http11AprProtocol gets used.

The issue is that the setAttribute call is not happening on a plugged in SSLImplementation (in our case JBossSocketFactory which has a setProperty call happening for seccurityDomain).

Remy, any guidance?

The issue is setAttribute call does not happen on a plugged in SocketFactory.

• 9. Re: TC6 integration 1st pass
                          bill.burke

"scott.stark@jboss.org" wrote:
                          And this is a hack of tomcat6 or a jbossweb based on tomcat6?

Tomcat 6. Its not a hack of Tomcat, but rather a hack of our current integration

• 10. Re: TC6 integration 1st pass
                            bill.burke

I've started the proces of converting from the use of org.jboss.metadata.WebMetaData

to

org.jboss.web.metamodel...

Unless you have any specific instructions, i'll proceed.

• 11. Re: TC6 integration 1st pass
                              starksm64

I don't think it matters currently as this will have to be updated for the migration of the deployers to the VDF update. I'm close to having jboss boot with the mc/vdf.

• 12. Re: TC6 integration 1st pass
                                bill.burke

"bill.burke@jboss.com" wrote:
                                I've started the proces of converting from the use of org.jboss.metadata.WebMetaData

to

org.jboss.web.metamodel...

Unless you have any specific instructions, i'll proceed.

Hmmmm, not sure I want to do it this way as the old EJB 2.1 container uses it a little and I'm pretty sure WebServices uses this metadata too. Maybe I should be creating JBossXB bindings for creating org.jboss.metadata classes and expanding those metadata classes for Java EE 5 instead of creating a new object hierarchy.

• 13. Re: TC6 integration 1st pass
                                  bill.burke

"scott.stark@jboss.org" wrote:
                                  I don't think it matters currently as this will have to be updated for the migration of the deployers to the VDF update. I'm close to having jboss boot with the mc/vdf.

I'm guessing you mean that it doesn't matter if I hack up the deployer...Web deployer needs a lot of reorganization anyways to do the dependency resolving that the EJB3 container currently already does.

What about the metadata though? I'm currently thinking to go back and use org.jboss.metadata classes instead of creating a new hierarchy. There's just too much code that depends on those metadata classes that would really suck to touch just to get this JavaEE5 integration in for Tomcat (Webservices for example). We'll also want to try and reuse the old EJB 2.1 BMP/CMP containers for EJB 3.0.

The other idea is to just reparse web.xml with the new hierarchy and just hack it in.

• 14. Re: TC6 integration 1st pass
                                    starksm64

Whatever is the path of least resistence. I certainly would try using the existing org.jboss.metadata with jbossxb parsers and ee5 expansion before rewriting it all.

1 2 Previous Next