1 2 Previous Next 23 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2006 9:56 AM by maxandersen

JBossSeam IDE proposal

Thomas Heute has forwarded us a proposal for JBossSeam IDE.. I've posted the proposal as an attachment to a JIRA task here:

http://jira.jboss.com/jira/browse/JBIDE-337

Opening this thread for discussion..

• 1. Re: JBossSeam IDE proposal
          theute

I have a little knowledge with WTP and how you relate to it.

I had a quick look at WTP since i never played with it before and had to realize by myself (even though i have been told) that you cannot deploy an exploded EAR with exploded WARs inside. That is just too bad :(

A 'basic' Seam application using EJB3 will have 3 projects most of the time. An EAR, a JAR, a WAR but one could want more than a single JAR or single WAR.

I will have a talk with Max and see what we can do.

• 2. Re: JBossSeam IDE proposal
            maxandersen

Let's have lunch today about it ;)

The deployment issue is something that Stryker should be able to shed a light on. I was hoping he could make that happen somehow ;) Rob?

Additional jar's I can understand, but when is additional WAR's interesting/relevant ?

I'll also have to give it some thought on how the app generation templates and UI can be adjusted to generated into this more scalable structure. e.g. right now it assumes one root where as here we will have three roots.

• 3. Re: JBossSeam IDE proposal
              rob.stryker

Right now default behavior for running the WTP projects on a server is to package them up. Having the option to deploy exploded is a feature I'll try to work in.

• 4. Re: JBossSeam IDE proposal
                maxandersen

..hopefully something that will work toegether with marshall's packaging "thingy" and then optimally can "copy-on-save" so edits will be instant for e.g. JSF pages.

• 5. Re: JBossSeam IDE proposal
                  maxandersen

Optimally it would be cool to get a deployment to point directly to the web src tree in the project, but i don't think that is easily doable ? Andy talked about being able to specify what URL's a jboss installation should look at?

• 6. Re: JBossSeam IDE proposal
                    theute

You can easily add a new directory to scan for deployment on JBoss but the packaging is not correct on WTP (You can't have a War inside a Ear).

A copy-on-save would do the magic.

Having exploded archived is a *Very important* feature it lets you fix your JSF pages without having to redeploy.

• 7. Re: JBossSeam IDE proposal
                      maxandersen

ok - but how do you (easily) add a new directory for scan for deployment ?

• 8. Re: JBossSeam IDE proposal
                        theute

It's in jboss-service.xml it's the URLDeploymentScanner mbean

<!-- URLs are comma separated and resolve relative to the server home URL
                         unless the given path is absolute. If the URL ends in "/" it is
                         considered a collection and scanned, otherwise it is simply deployed;
                         this follows RFC2518 convention and allows discrimination between
                         collections and directories that are simply unpacked archives.

URLs may be local (file:) or remote (http:). Scanning is supported
                         for remote URLs but unpacked deployment units are not.

Example URLs:
                         deploy/
                         scans ${jboss.server.url}/deploy/, which is local or remote
                         depending on the URL used to boot the server
                         ${jboss.server.home}/deploy/
                         scans ${jboss.server.home}/deploy, which is always local
                         file:/var/opt/myapp.ear
                         deploy myapp.ear from a local location
                         file:/var/opt/apps/
                         scans the specified directory
                         http://www.test.com/netboot/myapp.ear
                         deploys myapp.ear from a remote location
                         http://www.test.com/netboot/apps/
                         scans the specified WebDAV location
                         -->
                         <attribute name="URLs">
                         deploy/
                         </attribute>

And you can do it at runtime too, since this is an mbean.

• 9. Re: JBossSeam IDE proposal
                          theute

I now have the booking app as WTP projects with configuration for JBoss AS. (In our current examples we do Ant filtering to configure the examples for one app server or the other (or Tomcat)

I will document the elements that need customization and how names are related (for example you build the JNDI name from the EAR Name followed by some stuff)

If you need my Eclipse Workspace for this example, let me know we will try to find a way to send the 13MB of compressed files...

• 10. Re: JBossSeam IDE proposal
                            maxandersen

13 megs? insane ;)

just zip it and attach it to the jira case.

• 11. Re: JBossSeam IDE proposal
                              theute

The limit is 10Mb ;)

You can FTP it from my machine Max.

For others, if you are interested let me know and we'll find a way

• 12. Re: JBossSeam IDE proposal

Hey guys -- FYI..

My new packaging tools includes API for auto-generating both exploded and standard JAR/WAR/whatever. The only thing extra we need is for the AS Adapter to support exploded deployments (which should be really easy).

Max.. adding your project as a deployment URL to JBoss isn't an option unless we enforce the standard J2EE structure on the users.. (which is something we're trying to get away from? ;)

• 13. Re: JBossSeam IDE proposal
                                  maxandersen

well, people like to change their JSF's today while they are in some structure that J2EE can deploy...can't you just tell it to monitor some rootdirectory ?

• 14. Re: JBossSeam IDE proposal

Again, it's a JBoss configuration issue.. so yes maybe the AS adapter could have a list of deployment directories.. Rob care to chime in?

1 2 Previous Next