4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2010 5:09 AM by goldmann Branched from an earlier discussion.

How to write a spec file for rpm

ingedeut

Hi Marek,

can you please give me any help about how to write a spec file in order to build a rpm for jbossesb? I have read the spec file for gatein but i don't untersand it. I will appreciate any help.

thanks in advance

regards

Younes

• 1. Re: How to write a spec file for rpm
          goldmann

Fedora RPM guide is a great resource to understand the process of creating RPM's (detailed and fairly easy to understand, check especially chapters 8 and 9). Check also other RPM documentation listed here.

When I manage some spare time, I'll try to help you to write a spec file for JBoss ESB.

--Marek

• 2. Re: How to write a spec file for rpm
            tpedone

You could use the RPM Maven plugin to do this.  We do something similar for JBoss AS.  We use the maven dependency plugin to unzip the JBossAS zip, then use the RPM plugin to create an RPM of the unzipped files.

• 3. Re: How to write a spec file for rpm
              ingedeut

Hallo Marek,

i have tried to write a spec file for jbossesb integrated in jbossas 5.1 like the spec file of Gatein. Then i have also created a jbossesb.init (for the Daemon) file and Finally the RPM Package. But by trying to install this package local in my machine (fedora 13), i still become the error that the Daemon of jbossesb is crasched (not successfully started). I have also tried to do the same with Gatein but the  local installation always fails.

Can you please help me?

I give you the

1. spec file,
              2. the jbossesb.init.d
              3. the original gz.tar file of jbossesb.
              4. The generated RPM

I will appreciate any help.

Regards

Younes

• 4. Re: How to write a spec file for rpm
                goldmann

Hi Younes,

If you ESB is crashed on start this is a good sign - you're getting closer!

First of all, log in to your instance and try to run it manually. Check every JBoss log – there is the answer for your problem. JAVA_OPTS setting too high maybe? Wrong directories?

Change your init script to fix this problem and then make same changes in your init script used for building the appliance and rebuild it.

--Marek