6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2012 3:47 PM by gcardoso

Administration UI: Mobile Redirects

gcardoso

Based on the wireframes for Mobile Redirection posted on the article GateIn Mobile Detection And Redirection: Administration UI, I have worked on a proposal with Visual Design. The HTML can be seen at http://statichtml-theute.rhcloud.com/cardosogabriel/gatein-client/redirects.html.

The first screen shows a situation were two redirects were already configured. In comparison to the wireframes, the "redirect to" information was added under the column "configurations".

01.png

In case of  redirects already configured, it is possible to switch from ON to OFF and vice-versa with only one click, with no need to save. For the "default redirect" that has not been configured yet, by clicking OFF (to turn it ON), the second screen appears. The same screen is shown by clicking the button "Add Redirect" and the link "Configure" on a table row. Differently from the wireframes, this screen is presented together with the redirects table since there is plenty of space and it is that users have only a couple of redirects.

mobile02.jpg

On node mappings, on top of the autocomplete to fill the inputs, I propose a button that shows the list of nodes of the origin site as well of the redirect site. This might be useful as a shortcut to see all the nodes and also in a situation where the user does not remember the correspondent redirect node name.

04.jpg 

By clicking "Add Condition" or "Edit" in a line of the condition table, a modal box is shown.

mobile03.jpg

This complete flow allows the user to manage mobile redirects in only one screen.

Message was edited by: Gabriel Cardoso

• 1. Re: Administration UI: Mobile Redirection
          mwringe

The mobile redirect has a very complex configuration. Its going to be tough to get a nice clean and simple UI design for it. I think what you currently have is going in the right direction. I have a couple of comments listed below:

mobile01.jpg

- clicking on/off should probably not load the configuration page, there is a configuration button for this and an admin may want to configure the redirect before enabling it.

- I don't know if I like the expansion of the redirect when you click configure, I think a separate page would be cleaner (but this is a design issue, my opinion may be wrong).

mobile01.jpg

- Would it be possible to use drag-n-drop for the ordering of conditions? and a delete icon? Do we really need the drop down menu?

- Is anything meant to go in the column 'Conditions & Settings'? Would it be possible to delete this column if its not needed?

mobile03.jpg

- the propertiy names are admin configurable and there is no way to pre-determine there values. A text input box is probably the only option we can use for this.

- the User Agent String part needs to be two separate sections. Something like this may work:

User Agent String

Contains:

[==============]

or  [==============]

or  [==============]

Does Not Contain:

[==============]

or [==============]

or [==============]

Since this is such a complex configuration, any input you have on how to simplify the underlying configuration would also be appreciated.

• 2. Re: Administration UI: Mobile Redirection
            gcardoso

Matt, thanks for your comments.

- clicking on/off should probably not load the configuration page, there is a configuration button for this and an admin may want to configure the redirect before enabling it.

I agree that he may want to configure the redirect before enabling it and he can do so. But what would happen if he tried to turn it on before configuring it? Instead of showing a feedback like "you need to configure it first", we present the configuration page. This only happens with the default redirect, since the next ones must be configured and saved to appear in the list.

- I don't know if I like the expansion of the redirect when you click configure, I think a separate page would be cleaner (but this is a design issue, my opinion may be wrong).

This was a design decision. I experimented both approaches and this one seemed better since we have plenty of space on the page and it wouldn't require a new page load. It's also more contextual (I can see that I'm really editing the second line and don't need to go back to be sure that I clicked the right element). But we can see if more people complain.

- Would it be possible to use drag-n-drop for the ordering of conditions? and a delete icon? Do we really need the drop down menu?

Here I was thinking about reducing the implementation effort. It is possible to use a drag-n-drop but,will this action be very used?

- Is anything meant to go in the column 'Conditions & Settings'? Would it be possible to delete this column if its not needed?

Actually this is the label, like Matching or Unresolved Nodes below. But you are right, we don't need it since it's the only label inside "Conditions". I updated the proposal:

02.png

- the propertiy names are admin configurable and there is no way to pre-determine there values. A text input box is probably the only option we can use for this.

- the User Agent String part needs to be two separate sections. Something like this may work:

What about this new proposal?

03.jpg

• 3. Re: Administration UI: Mobile Redirection
              mwringe

I agree that he may want to configure the redirect before enabling it and he can do so. But what would happen if he tried to turn it on before configuring it?

I don't know how someone is going to enable a redirect that doesn't exist yet If a redirect exists, it has already been configured. There is no special 'default' configurations, they are just redirects configured through xml instead of the admin ui. It should not be treated any differently

Here I was thinking about reducing the implementation effort. It is possible to use a drag-n-drop but,will this action be very used?

Having drag-n-drop will make the ui much cleaner, since it means we can get rid of the extra buttons to move up/down in the list. It also means if someone wants to switch the top element and the bottom element, its just 2 simple click and drag instead of clicking 'move up' multiple times for the bottom element and 'move down' multiple times for the top element. I think drag-n-drop is the only real option here.

What about this new proposal?

I like it and I think it will work much better.

Thanks

• 4. Re: Administration UI: Mobile Redirection
                gcardoso

I don't know how someone is going to enable a redirect that doesn't exist yet If a redirect exists, it has already been configured. There is no special 'default' configurations, they are just redirects configured through xml instead of the admin ui. It should not be treated any differently

Actually the idea is to show something in the page besides the button "Add redirect". This way the user already sees something and configuring it is has the same effect of adding a redirect. In terms of development, that could be something displayed in the UI and only saved on the xml after configuring and clicking Save. It's an approach for the empty screen. We could present it empty or with some message, but I believe this is useful and aesthetically interesting. I agree that the name "Default redirect" could be better.

Screen Shot 2012-08-29 at 3.16.45 PM.png

Having drag-n-drop will make the ui much cleaner, since it means we can get rid of the extra buttons to move up/down in the list. It also means if someone wants to switch the top element and the bottom element, its just 2 simple click and drag instead of clicking 'move up' multiple times for the bottom element and 'move down' multiple times for the top element. I think drag-n-drop is the only real option here.

You are right, I was neglecting the scenario with many elements. I'll take a look in some drag and drop plugins.

Thanks

• 5. Re: Administration UI: Mobile Redirection
                  mwringe

If there are no redirects, just have a message that says so. Having the concept of a always present, not deletable, redirect doesn't make any sense to me.

• 6. Re: Administration UI: Mobile Redirection
                    gcardoso

You are right. So I came up with something less boring than a simple message, making a better use of the space. What do you think?

Screen Shot 2012-08-30 at 4.42.10 PM.png

Thanks