Hello everyone. As you most likely have read by now, Red Hat has recently reached an agreement with Exadel to open source their Exadel Studio Pro product, and contribute it into our new Red Hat Developer Studio product. This announcement marks a lot of changes for us, so let's just start at the top.
The project you know as JBossIDE will from now on be referred to as "JBossTools", and this is also the new home for the open sourced Eclipse plugins from Exadel. Red Hat Developer Studio will be our officially supported and tested project that is driven from the JBossTools projects, and will include some other externally bundled plugins as well. As a part of this merging and renaming, you will see the names and locations of many of our resources changing (some already have). To give you an idea of what to expect:
- Forums have been renamed to JBoss Tools (users) / JBoss Tools (dev)
- Mailing lists have been renamed to jbosstools-dev / jbosstools-announce / jbosstools-commits
- IRC channel is now #jbosstools (still on freenode)
- We have migrated from CVS to Subversion, and the new repository is located at: http://anonsvn.jboss.org/repos/jbosstools
- Various wikis, documentation, etc will all be changed in the coming weeks/months
Along with various refactorings, we will also be changing some things in the way we release/distribute:
- Each JBossTools component will now have it's own independent release cycle
- Our main conduit of distribution will be our update site, which will always have the latest release of each component
- If you are interested in bundled and tested versions of Eclipse/Webtools with our plugins, please take a look at our development subscription model and RHDS
On a final note, we have been hard at work over the past 2 months in making the Exadel codebase release into our project a reality.. you should see the new Exadel components (RichFaces Visual Editor, Struts Tools) in our repository soon. Along with the new codebase, we will be welcoming several Exadel employees as new contributors to the project. Overall we are very excited to be working with Exadel and bringing you (the community) a new breed of open source tools.. stay tuned!