Main goal of this service is to allow simplified and more collaborative documentation creation for our open source projects, which should lead to increased contribution from community members and better documentation quality.
It was a busy year full of support for projects who want to use this service, and few subsequent releases to add new features based on user experiences and request, and to integrate it better to whole jboss.org infrastructure.
So after first year we have around 25 projects using this tool, including documentation for JBoss Application Server 7. We have around 2000 registered users, thousands of visitors and tens of thousands pageviews daily.
Under the hood
We also use bunch of third party and home made plugins. To name at least some:
- Gliffy Confluence Plugin - third party plugin for diagrams creation. Thanks Gliffy for free open source project license.
- Scroll Wiki Exporter - third party plugin used to export documentation into DocBook format. Thanks K15t software for free open source project license.
- Snippet Plugin - third party plugin used to embedd snippets of source code into documentation directly from SVN or Git repositories
- Copy Space Plugin - third party plugin to ease documentation creation for new release version of project
- DocBook Import for Confluence - home made plugin used to import existing DocBook documentation into confluence. We released this plugin for free for other Confluence users too.
- JBoss.org documentation tools - home made plugin with some usefull tools for documentation site:
- Pages approval feature
- "<Previous | Front page | Next>" navigation inside guides
- Page structure creation/validation from simple template
- SubSpace Plugin - third party plugin to better organize Spaces on home page.
For some details how we use these plugins on our site you can see our Authoring Guide.