I feel very lucky to be a part of JBoss. It is great to see global diversity in the JBoss Community. I wanted to wish everyone a Happy World Day for Cultural Diversity which is celebrated on May 21st and supported by the United Nations. They have setup a Community Facebook page for "Do One Thing For Diversity and Inclusion". The campaign aims:
- To raise awareness worldwide about the importance of intercultural dialogue, diversity and inclusion.
- To build a world community of individuals committed to support diversity with real and every day-life gestures.
- To combat polarization and stereotypes to improve understanding and cooperation among people from different cultures.
Our JBoss Community is a large global community and I enjoy reading all the wonderful articles, news, blogs, etc that are published during the week. This week was another great week of news, new releases and articles. So let's jump into This week in JBoss.
To see the specific Release notes go the the Homepage or Website for the project from the links below.
jgroups-raft 0.2 - The jgroups-raft project is a Raft implementation in JGroups. It is currently in its own repo because it'll move much faster than JGroups and I wanted to have the freedom to release versions in quick succession.
byteman 3.0.0 - Byteman is a tool which simplifies tracing and testing of Java programs.
infinispan 8 - This actually isn't a release yet but the codename for infinispan 8 was voted upon and is, Infinite Darkness.
forge 2.16.1.Final (Club) - Forge is the Fastest way to build Maven-Based Java EE projects.
keycloak 1.2.0.Final - Integrated SSO and IDM for browser apps and RESTful web services.
Hibernate OGM 4.2.0.CR1 - Hibernate is an Object/Relational Mapper tool. OGM is the Domain model persistence for NoSQL datastores.
Hibernate ORM 4.3.10.Final - Hibernate is an Object/Relational Mapper tool. ORM is the Domain model persistence for relational databases.
- Microservices Architecture Developer Day June 11th London - Claus Ibsen discusses the event. We are hosting a full day event, in central London on June 11th 2015, where we will present the latest stuff we hack on our day time job - that is fabric8, hawtio, kubernetes, openshift, Camel, and more. The event is organized with the help from Red Hat and therefore the naming is a bit out of our hands so it was named - Microservices Architecture Developer Day.
- DevNation 2015 - June 21 - 25, 2015 | Hynes Convention Center | Boston, MA | USA - AN OPEN SOURCE CONFERENCE, BY AND FOR DEVELOPERS ACROSS THE GLOBE. DevNation is a full stack development conference featuring the best in open source! Learn how industry leaders use open source. Hack with some of the most innovative new projects including Docker, Hadood, Vert.x and more. See what new innovations are coming out of open source for DevOps, mobile and application development.
Microservices and Integration
- Syed Rasheed wrote an excellent article on JBoss Integration Products, explaining Application Integration and Data Integration, Ultimate Guide: When to use which JBoss Integration Products. In The Bottom Line he indicated that In the end, application integration platform like JBoss Fuse are best suited for the functional integration of independent applications to implement a multi-step business process. Data virtualization platforms are best suited for the creation of data services where one is attempting to present a holistic view of the business data for analysis or operational visibility. Both technologies have different primary use cases and they are not interchangeable, however they can be used together.
- Christina Lin continues her Microservices migration story with the Integration Demo Series with Fuse and BPMS.
- Stian Thorgersen discussed Securing Microservices with Keycloak and OpenID. As microservices is all about having many smaller services each that deal with one distinct task the obvious solution to security is an authentication and authorization service. This is where Keycloak and OpenID Connect comes to the rescue. Keycloak provides the service you need to secure micro services.
- Mark Little highlights XA and Microservices. I'm not suggesting that XA doesn't have a role to play within microservices and between microservices. At least in the short term it most definitely does for some (small) set of applications. But really when I'm suggesting transactions have a role I'm looking well beyond XA.
Data Services with Teiid and Data Virtualization
- I started our Data Virtualization Primer and Series 1 on the basics of virtualized databases.
- Ramesh Reddy shared the information for the types of training available - Workshop and Red Hat Training course.
Business Processes and Rules
- Eric Schabell continued with another JBoss BPM Suite online workshop focused on building a travel agency. This week he covers Lab 01 and 02.
- Eric also published an article originally done by Stefano Picozzi on a JBoss BPMS Quick guide on Weight Watching with a Realtime Decision Server.
- Mark Proctor highlighted a paper which is a Comparative Study of Correlation Engines for Security Event Management.
- Markus Eisele posted a featured post writtem by Tonya Rae Moore, My Toddler Knows more about computers than I do. Help?
- Thomas Qvarnstrom shared a screen cast with us on Securing JBoss Data Grid
- Thomas also shared Installing Red Hat Container Development Kit on Mac OS X
- Rich Lucente was a guest blogger for me this week and discussed Geo-spatial processing capabilities with Open Source Products
- Eric Schabell also provided videos around the BPM Travel Agency migration story.
- Christina Posta Shared Immutable Infrastructure, hotdeploys, and the JVM
This weekend is a holiday weekend in the US to honor those that have died while serving in the armed forces. Be safe if you are in the US as alot of people will be traveling on the highways. On to another week in the community.....